• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 front drive shaft going to a M1008

gasser

Quick question - with the front axle difference between the M1009 and M1008; if a front drive shaft from a m1009 was going to be used on a m1008 - what type of things would need to be done? Or this type of thing isn't doable?

Thanks for any help,

-graham

1956_4x4

Don't think it's a simple swap. One truck has a 10 bolt and the other has a 60. The minimum would be a u-joint/yoke change (or a conversion joint) on the differential end. The length would need to be checked and the CV joint on the transfer case end would also need to match up. Is it "doable?", of course it can be done, just depends on how much work and money one would want to throw at it. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Wish I could just slide outside and compare for you, but my 1031 has a 205 transfer case in it. I can just sit here and be jealous of folks with the CUCV fleets... :cry:

Smitty

gasser

Yeah, I knew with the front axle difference it would not be a simple swap - just seeing what would be the steps and if anyone has encountered.
Maybe easiest to locate a m1008 driveshaft .... Thanks Smitty.

1956_4x4

gasser said:
Yeah, I knew with the front axle difference it would not be a simple swap - just seeing what would be the steps and if anyone has encountered.
Maybe easiest to locate a m1008 driveshaft .... Thanks Smitty.
That might be the way to go. I know the shaft in my 1031 is a lot heavier than the one in my K5, but then the K5 only has the 3/4 ton axles under it.

Smitty

muddobber40

The yokes on the dana 60 and 10 bolt are both 1310 series. In fact all 3 joints in the shafts are the same size for all 3 versions you guys talk about...M1009, m1008, and the m1031. CV ends are the same as well, including the flange. The only differnces are the lenghts. The M1031 with the 205 is the shortest, then the M1008, then the M1009. The difference in lenght b/w the M1008 and M1009 is about 2 inches. IT cost about $80 here to have a shaft shortened. I have about 15 shafts out of the M1008/28 trucks. $40 plus the ride and you can have one...more than likely you'll need to replace the front joint, but the cv part will be good.

1956_4x4

muddobber40 said:
The yokes on the dana 60 and 10 bolt are both 1310 series. In fact all 3 joints in the shafts are the same size for all 3 versions you guys talk about...M1009, m1008, and the m1031. CV ends are the same as well, including the flange. The only differnces are the lenghts. The M1031 with the 205 is the shortest, then the M1008, then the M1009. The difference in lenght b/w the M1008 and M1009 is about 2 inches. IT cost about $80 here to have a shaft shortened. I have about 15 shafts out of the M1008/28 trucks. $40 plus the ride and you can have one...more than likely you'll need to replace the front joint, but the cv part will be good.
Had to question them both having the same u-joint, but the book agrees with you. I would have bet money that the 60 was running a 1350. The shafts are different diameters between my 1031 and my K5, but the 3/4 ton swap in the K5 was done before I bought it, so it might be aftermarket...

Smitty

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks