• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 has loud idle

Hello--I have an 86 M1009 that is in great condition, but I notice that when the engine is idling, it seems to be very loud. When I put it into gear and drive, the idle goes away. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Thanks in advance

Tom Lovinggood

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s a Diesel so it will be loud.

When cold, the cold advance and high idle solenoid will make it louder until warmed up.

That and no insulation in the cab.

cucvrus

Is it a vibration that you are hearing while it is idling? Maybe a loose or stripped air filter housing stud/nut, Bad motor mount or vacuum pump hitting firewall or air filter housing? Not sure why the sound would change idling.

Well, I found out late yesterday afternoon why my idle is so loud. I took my Blazer to a local shop that had worked on it before. They discovered that two of the boldts that hold the power steering pump had literally fallen out and the pump would vibrate badly on start up--seems that that was the source of the noise. Problem solved--at least for now.

Tom Lovinggood

cucvrus

Vibration. makes perfect sense. Broken power steering pump was one of my thoughts but also thought that was visibly to obvious and you would have seen and heard that right away. Good Luck. Make sure the slip adjustment area on the power steering bracket is not whittled out and the top mount broken. The Power Steering brackets are very hard to find. Welding the broken one and adding an extra layer is easy and often a better option.

Thanks to all that responded. Yes, a couple of the bolts that secure the power steering pump went missing and the last one had almost backed out totally. A few new bolts installed, and that is all we needed. I should have noticed that the power steering pulley was wobbling horribly.

Tom Lovinggood

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks