• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Horn not working

n8roro

This is my first post, so let start by saying thank you to everyone that has put info on this site to make it such a great resource.

A few weeks back I purchased a M1009, and I have been driving it to get to know it and swapping out consumables. Thanks to the training manuals on this site I was able to diagnose a couple electrical issues with the lights as well as the proper way to replace the fuel filter. It is so great to have that manual!

I would like to make sure I am on the right track with the horn. After reading the TM and another horn related threads I replaced the horn relay but the horn still did not work. I was able to jump the horn from the battery and confirm the horn did indeed make noise. I was able to jump the relay terminal and it worked that way as well. I took of the horn cover on the steering wheel and took off the contacts and the part that goes in the plastic sleeve is not there. From what I have found it is a spring loaded contact of some sort. Can I assume that if I find that part and get it in the horn will work? I'm guessing the horn was always on like others have posted and someone took that part out to shut it up. The wiring under the dash looks unmolested so I'm hoping there are no wiring issues between the relay and the contact point in the steering wheel. However, I was trying to jump from the brass piece at the bottom of the plastic sleeve to other spots in the steering wheel to make the horn work and it would not. Any help with this is appreciated as I'm not sure of the mechanics of how the horn switch works.

Remaining electrical side issues that may or may not be related: The in dash voltmeter does not work (it reads 0). The cigarette lighter does not work. Those are next on my to do list, and I hope to be able to get those resolved by reading previous threads and using the TM.

I work in the trades so I like working with my hands and problem solving, but I have very limited auto knowledge. This vehicle is going to be family a family transport as well as project/education for me. Thanks for your time.

n8roro

Also the Gen 2 light does not light, as well as some other dash lights, but I'm hoping it is just bulbs.

Ilikemtb999

You could always check the connection at the horn to see if it gets power when the button is depressed. My actual horn didn’t work. A cheap replacement from the parts store and I was back in business.

As far as gen 2 goes, does your volt gauge work?

n8roro

The horn that generates the sound works. The "horn" in the cab is missing a part, but I could not make the horn sound by jumping what I thought was the contact points for the "horn" in the steering wheel.

No the voltage gauge does not work. Taking the dash panel off to check the voltage guage as well as the bulbs for instrument panel is in my future. Both batteries are remaining charged though so I'm assuming the alternator is ok.

I want to address the horn first because in my area it is a safety issue to have one that does not work. Thanks for trying to help!

n8roro

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I installed the contact switch and when I turned the steering wheel it fell in to the hole. I will remove the steering wheel to see what is going on, but for that I need a puller. Is there anything I should do while I am in there? It starts with no key currently, would replacing the ignition lock cylinder fix that?

Thanks again,

Nate

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks