• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 IP Bulbs

faststandard

Driving around tonight after getting our no start condition resolved, my son and I noticed that the dashboard seemed a little dim in spots. In looking at the TM part manual, it looks like the IP uses both 194 and 168 bulbs. Can anyone tell me what locations use what bulb? I also noticed that the voltmeter light it out - it looks like I need a 1445 bulb for that.

Thanks for your help.

cucvrus

When I seen IP I immediately thought Injection Pump. You are referring to the IC Instrument Cluster. I used 194 bulbs for years. My research below will set this issue straight. I had this talk before. Some guy told me the 194 was the temperature of the bulb and 168 was a cooler bulb. I really wondered about the 1157 bulbs in the tail lamps. He said it was true. Here is what I found doing some research.
They are the exact same size and you can use them interchangeably. The difference is that the 168 will be brighter than the 194. Although it is brighter, the 168 will not last as long (1500 hr.
Being that I have a can with hundreds of 194 bulbs that is what I use in everything. I did the test to see if they were brighter. To my eyes and several others we could see no difference in a side by side comparison. Maybe a light intensity meter will prove me wrong. But to me it wasn't worth checking. The cluster lights up. Nailed it.

Last edited:

Barrman

Interesting new automotive trivia. Neat.

Once you pick out which bulbs you want to use. Then the fun task of installing them comes along. If you or your son is a contortionist. With small fingers and a high pain threshold. Just reach back in there and swap the bulbs out. I like to pull the entire cluster, use a nail file or Scotch bride pad to clean up both the printed circuit ribbon contacts, clean the bulb holder contacts, test the holder with a bulb in it for function and the test every light for function at the big plug contact area. Then you won’t have to think about it for another decade or two.

cucvrus

Barrmans way works but lately I have been doing the disassembly from the front and avoiding removal of the potato chip fragile cluster housing. Everything can be accessed and the bulbs changed and check before you reassemble and discover that 1 bulb that won't light after you spend hours cleaning and reassemble it. Good Luck.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a very informative PDF which explains and illustraates the entire dash electrical system. Can't remember who on here posted it a while back, but it is certainly one of the best documents I have ever seen pertaining to the CUCV dash lights.

There are only three (3) bulbs which illuminate the cluster, and those 3 are identified in the document. The GEN2 bulb is the only 194 in there. All the others are 168.

If you really want to brighten up the dash illumination, take the whole thing out, disassemble and clean all contacts. Then spray-paint the interior of the housing with white or chrome plastic paint. Then replace the 3 #168 dash illumination bulbs with Philips 168CVB2 Crystalvision bulbs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U1OIKYS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Hope this helps.

Attachments

muttly

When I seen IP I immediately thought Injection Pump. You are referring to the IC Instrument Cluster. I used 194 bulbs for years. My research below will set this issue straight. I had this talk before. Some guy told me the 194 was the temperature of the bulb and 168 was a cooler bulb. I really wondered about the 1157 bulbs in the tail lamps. He said it was true. Here is what I found doing some research.
They are the exact same size and you can use them interchangeably. The difference is that the 168 will be brighter than the 194. Although it is brighter, the 168 will not last as long (1500 hr.
Being that I have a can with hundreds of 194 bulbs that is what I use in everything. I did the test to see if they were brighter. To my eyes and several others we could see no difference in a side by side comparison. Maybe a light intensity meter will prove me wrong. But to me it wasn't worth checking. The cluster lights up. Nailed it.
I've never heard of the bulb number being the bulb temperature. But after grabbing one of these 1157s after it was on for a while, I think that number is a tad low!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks