• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 windshield wiper stops halfway...

Osro

Driving out to my duck lease yesterday my wipers stopped halfway across my windshield. Here are the details:
  • The wipers always stops on the up swing at the same position
  • if I pull the blades past the stopping point, the wipers will continue to move again and complete their full range of motion, but then stop on the upswing at the same position
  • The wiper motor connects to a circular plate, this plate connects to the wiper rod. The wipers always stop when the rod is at the 12 o'clock position in the rotation of the circular plate.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be? My initial thought is there might be a binding or loose connection somewhere in the windshield wiper rod connections. Thoughts? How do I remove the body panel between the hood and windshield that covers the windshield wiper rods to check this?

thanks in advance guys!

Keith_J

The wipers are incorrectly timed on their shafts. The arms pull off, there is a spring clip retaining them to the shaft. Pull both arms and see if the shafts turn correctly when on and stop automatically in the down position, a bit of tape stuck to the shafts will show this. If all checks out, install the arms with shafts at the correct rest position.

Osro

Thank you, but I should have been more clear. The wipers stop halfway across the windshield while the wiper switch is still in the on position. I am able to pull the wiper blades past this "hump" and they will work again until they hit the same position.

Osro

Ok, thanks for the tip, I'll check that out. I guess I figured that would only be an issue if I was trying to to turn the wipers off, and not driving down the road at 5am in the rain hoping to keep them on while looking for the right dirt road :razz:

Osro

OK, so I pulled the wiper arms and that isn't the problem.

I pulled the wiper blades and used a bit of PB blaster on all of the wiper rod connection/swivel points.

Without the wipers arms on, both of the wiper transmissions spin seemingly well with no problem, but once I put the wipers back on the wipers still get stuck halfway and always on the up-swing at exactly the same point. The wiper blades are Rain-x brand and seem to be in decent shape if that makes any difference...aua

How can I check/adjust the auto stop?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks