• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 won’t shut off

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I’ve searched the site, and did look through my TM.

I have had the truck for several months and it didn’t do it at first but has gotten progressively worse. Started to stay running for 10 seconds then 30 then maybe a minute to shut off. Now stays running until I pinch the fuel return line.

I did change the ignition lock cylinder on the column.
checked the ground wire from the ignition switch.
The pink wire on the injection pump has 12v with the key on and 0 with the key off.
If I pull the pink wire while running…no effect. Stays running.
Pulled the top of the injection pump and cleaned the fuel shut off solenoid. No effect.

What am I missing?

Thanks David

Guyfang

Staff member
I am no truck guy, but if this was a generator set, I would say you need to clean out the dirt or crud blocking open the solenoid. Any solenoid that will not close when power is turned off can only stay open due to being prevented from closing. Blockage or bad solenoid.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I did take out the solenoid and clean it throughly. And it looked really clean before. The plunger and barrel are clean.

could the solenoid itself be bad?

thanks, David

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
…just trying to get an idea if it’s the ignition switch or the IP fuel shut off.

with the key on I have 12v to the pink IP wire
with the key off I have 0v to the pink IP wire

so this would suggest it’s NOT the ignition…correct?

Keith_J

The solenoid is ETR, energized to run. Which is to say a spring in the solenoid closes the metering valve when the current to the solenoid is stopped.

I would say the solenoid, an electromagnet, is either dirty, corroded or in need of replacement. There was a design change in the 1980s to prevent magnetic wear particles from causing this failure. I would recommend a pump overhaul service. You could replace the solenoid, using Badger Diesel for parts. But you could have transfer pump or cam ring wear.

Guyfang

Staff member
A shade tree way to "Kinda" test the solenoid is to use a wire to go to the terminal on the solenoid, from the battery. Hold your hand on the solenoid and then connect the wire. Do you feel anything? Do you hear anything? Repeat a few times. SOMETIMES you can. Also, take the pink wire off. Crank the engine over. If it starts, the solenoid is stuck open.

Barrman

If you pull the pink wire and it stays running, then the trouble is not on the truck side of things. A rebuilt pump did the same thing to me when I installed it a few years ago. I put another solenoid in and all has been well ever since. Just pulling the top cover of the IP and swapping the solenoid is easy.

To turn it off in your current situation is also easy. Us a pair of pliers and squeeze the return hose coming out of the IP. The engine will turn off once pressure builds.

nyoffroad

Buy your replies I am assuming the problem is at the pump if the ignition key is shutting off the power to the pink IP wire?

Good idea’s I’ll try and test the solenoid.

Thanks
For sure the problem is on the fuel side NOT the ignition side. I've never done it but I remember reading where a person can put the injector pump cover back on wrong and block the solenoid valve open thus it won't shut off. I don't think thats your problem, just tossing it out there.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks all, I do think it’s the solenoid. The truck will start without the IP pink wire attached. So it’s stuck open.

I did take it apart and the barrel and shaft we spotless. Probably the switch itself. I have a new one on the way.
Appreciate all the help.
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks