• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 gates and bows

Nick

So once again, Im using pictures of someone else's trailer. If the owner of this trailer is on here, please forgive me, but alot of what you have done, I want to do.

So, after a long drawn out search, I have found the brake handles I needed. Now I'm building the gates and bows with all new oak.

My question, to place the bows in the storage position as shown in the pictures, are the legs used just cut down sections of the same legs used for the gates? Or is there a special, different part that allows the storage of the bows?

Thanks
Nick

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
There is a bracket that the bows fit into. Never had to cut anything down to fit them in there. I now have metal bows that work even better. Suggest investing in a fiberglass and metal bow set.

Nick

Still lookin for anyone that has a spare set of side gate posts. I need to have a way to store the bows when the trailer is parked in the garage. I made them a little taller for more room inside, but that means they wont clear the garage door.

If anyone has a spare set they'd be willing to part with please let me know.

Thanks
Nick

maplehillfrm

Like these??
Are these the things you are looking for/?.. I think I have some that came on one of the 105A trailers I got the were installed in the racks to make the bows higher,, I am not sure if they are the same those size wise or not, not sure how many there were because there were 2-3 pieces of alum the same size as openeing to fit in between, I can get pics tommorow, I was going to put on ebay but never knew what they were called, good luck pat

Nick

Not sure if those are exactly what i need, but these are. These are pictures of my trailer's gate posts. As long as the posts have the notch cut in them to hold the bows, its what I need. Hopefully its what you have, and a full set of 10. If not, as long as its what I need the amount doesnt matter. The overall length doesnt matter as I plan to cut them and make them only about 7" long.

Thanks for looking, let me know

Nick

Attachments

maplehillfrm

:lost: sorry , my bad I looked in the barn today, and it turns out I had 2 of the brackets in teh picm and 8 pieces of aluminum bar that they had in they had put in the rails to make the bows higher, sorry I wasnt any help, good luck pat

Nick

The M101 series actually uses a specialty bracket (short stake pocket) for the bows to sit in when not being used...
I don't have a good photo of them on one of my M101's, but I do have a shot of a pair that I bolted to the side racks of a M37 since I didn't like the stock storage system on the truck..
See:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/december/veterans2002/clip1.jpg

Hope that this helps.

So the ones in the pics of the first post I put up arent right for an m101? What are the chances someone has the ones you have to be correct? Im to the point I dont even care if they are correct since I cant find anything to work.

I was just hopeing to get a full set of posts and just cut em down to that size since I dont know if those are available anywhere

Thanks for your help.

Nick

Last edited:

CGarbee

So the ones in the pics of the first post I put up arent right for an m101? What are the chances someone has the ones you have to be correct? Im to the point I dont even care if they are correct since I cant find anything to work.

I was just hopeing to get a full set of posts and just cut em down to that size since I dont know if those are available anywhere

Thanks for your help.

Nick
The problem with cutting down posts is that the "pockets" have to be slightly larger in order for the bows to fit inside...
The units that I have on my M37 (that came off a M101) came from a buddy (Charles at MSeries Rebuild) who had a bunch of M101 trailer sides with badly rotted wood. He had cut the wood off the hardware and had a huge stack of metal bits that he was happy to sell to folks who needed bits to fix a trailer (or to use on a project).
Things like this seem to be easy to find when you don't need them, harder when you do... Keep your eyes open and they will appear.

Worse case, find some tubing that is just larger than the bow dimensions and fab up something... Unless you are trying to make a 100% restoration, no one really cares as long as it looks decent and works (and you are happy...).

Good luck.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The guy in Maine that makes jeep parts and such, JeePanels Plus (207) 743-7671 made me a couple sets of the stakes for the 101 trailer. Really good stock and reasonable. He had to have the tooling made to do it too. So I know he can do it for you, and make the clips for storage, or just send you a couple stakes and you cut your own from them. The ones for the 105's are larger and don't work on the 3/4 er's. We tried as now I have extra stakes too. and our "Group" aquired a 1 1/2 ton 105, but needs racks and gates. The metal bows do work better, I've got both kinds and like the metals better, besides they don't sag.

Nick

The guy in Maine that makes jeep parts and such, JeePanels Plus (207) 743-7671 made me a couple sets of the stakes for the 101 trailer. Really good stock and reasonable. He had to have the tooling made to do it too. So I know he can do it for you, and make the clips for storage, or just send you a couple stakes and you cut your own from them. The ones for the 105's are larger and don't work on the 3/4 er's. We tried as now I have extra stakes too. and our "Group" aquired a 1 1/2 ton 105, but needs racks and gates. The metal bows do work better, I've got both kinds and like the metals better, besides they don't sag.

Thanks Capt Pat, ill give him a call, all I want is the uprights for the bows to fit into. Ill check him out, thanks

Nick

mr.travo

Please keep us posted. I am needing a couple of new bow pockets, bolts, and those special nuts for my M101. I am doing research too so I will let you know if I find anything.

Travo

Nick

Been tryin to call this number for the last few days, and it's busy all times of the day, every time I try.

Got any other contact info for them? Are they still in business?

Thanks
Nick

mr.travo

Nick,

I have noticed that there are two kinds of screws. There are the phillips screws that are for the inside of the bow pockets and then there are the larger flat tip screws. Both of them use the "self seating" nuts that go into the wood. I need about a dozen of each screw complete with nuts.

Nick

Nick,

I have noticed that there are two kinds of screws. There are the phillips screws that are for the inside of the bow pockets and then there are the larger flat tip screws. Both of them use the "self seating" nuts that go into the wood. I need about a dozen of each screw complete with nuts.
Yeah theres three diferrent screws for the whole set up; pan head phillips for the bows, flat head countersink for the top of the stakes where the bows sit in the gates, and pan head phillips for the lower gate boards. All use t-nuts but the bow pan heads.

I took one of each to the local Fastenal store and they had em for me in two days, replacing ALL the screws, on the gates and bows and T-nuts, like over 120 screws and 120 t-nuts was 30 bucks..

Nick

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks