• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m101 truck bed

davidkroberts

this is my buddy brians truck... it was formerly a 1031 with an operational genny and compressor that he sold to another forum member who wanted it. The 1031 bed got mounted on the m101 frame and the 101 bed was mounted as below. I think it turned out pretty good. Almost like a M715. just posting to show it can be done.

it did require some spacers in the front and back but the middle fit fine. the rest of the truck is getting painted soon and the new 37" tires and rims are coming.

Attachments

davidkroberts

yeah i helped brian mount it on the M101 bed. I was thinking you could reverse the generator in its mount and install a direct drive engine and have a great service trailer. We tried to be as careful as possible removing it. We used tow straps connected to the tailgate supports on the end and a long strap through the generator access doors under the I-beam support brackets and two pieces of 1 inch angle iron to distribute the weight along the roof to lift it. Didnt have any problems at all.

Westech

CPL
Looks GREAT! I would put a little something over the gas tank.... that metal is thin and could be pierced ez. Maybe just a tin shield or something. Just my 1.5 cents. but looks good. I like it.

davidkroberts

hes already on it I had mentioned the same thing but he had a plan in the works. The tanks getting relocated with either small tool boxes or ammo can mounts used to fill the gap and hide the frame rail.

ODdave

Im gonna try to run it off of the truck via the pto, just have to find the drive parts. You guys did a nice job, i didnt see any damage, i was a lil baffeld how you moved it

mf5129

how does it attach to rhe frame?how about the spacers?i have a residue truck that i want to install one on.please post installation photos.

colelkhunter

On this truck the front and rear spacers were 3-3/4 inches long and made from schedule 80 tubing with a very larger 3/4 fender washer on top and bottom. Think body lift puck. It was actually quite simple as the "ribs" in the floor of the trailer line up perfectly with the holes that mount the origional bed. I used 3/4 " shims taped to the front of the bed for spacing and pushed it up tight to the cab. Measured and drilled all the holes and bolted it down. After the bed was set on the truck I did the rest myself. Used 5/8" grade 8 carriage bolts, 6" long. Lock washer and nylock nut. it is solid as a rock. Rear bumper sticks out a little in the rear, this will be rectified soon with a custom rear bumper that has a tire carrier that swings out to double as a tailgate. Then the front bumper will get fabbed up to carry the 18K warn winch I have for it. Tires and wheels are next for now then the bumpers will get made as time allows. Going to cut the front fender wells to match the rears on the new bed and fit a larger tire. Hope to get 38's on it with minimal lift. Working on more paint today..

Brian In Tennessee............

colelkhunter

Planning on a low profile fuel cell moved into the bed. Hide it with a tool box. Then I will either fabricate or try to find a couple boxes for the sides for added storage and to cover the frame. Thought about building a rack on each side to house 4 50 cal ammo cans. Almost like a shelf with a crossbar to keep the ammo cans tight and snug. would not have to worry about clutter that way. I am planning this to be a daily driver/wheeler/camping vehicle so function is king. Storage and ease of use is second.

colelkhunter

especially after I slather it with Paint and raptor bedliner! Much better construction on this that a normal bed. Plus any dents can easily be removed with the proper application of a hammer. Quick squirt of paint and it's good as new.

Solid Gold

Nice work in progress!

A set of HMMWV tires will give it a very big horse look!

My M1031 is on the same track for a conversion, simply based on ideas picked up from this forum...thanks team!

Last edited:

jamesfrom180

Yeah a wile back I scored a trail kit/general tool box from Tractor Supply company that fits inside a 40 just perfect. It has been a very trusted trail companion all through college. 40s on one side and fuel and water on the other would be awesome.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks