• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A3 DOT Lighting

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I have finished my upgrade on my M101A3 to meet current DOT lighting specs. I see that the replacement for the M101 series the M1101 and M1102 meet the specs. All the lights are 12/24 volt units including the GI LED tail lights. The brackets I fabricated. This trailer can be pulled by your pickup or MV with just a short fabricated adaptor cable from GI to Civy plugs.

Trailer Poster Table for Website

Here are the parts I used:

Military LED Model 35 Marker/Clearance Lamp - Trucklite Military LED Lamps

M153C-MV-PETERSON LIGHTING-Piranha Æ LED LED Utility & License Light

B150-141-PETERSON LIGHTING-License/Utility Light Bracket

I am posting this so it can be used later for those that want to upgrade their trailers to DOT specs.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nice work. Love the paint.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
How does the 3 lights on the back work with the tailgate? Does it clear? What are the mudflaps made from?

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
How does the 3 lights on the back work with the tailgate? Does it clear? What are the mudflaps made from?

Gimp the three lights clear no problem. I did put a piece of 1 1/2 inch angle iron behind the three lights to keep crap from falling on them from above when the tailgate is down. The mudflaps were made from two old deuce metal and rubber flaps/braces. I had to attach them to a 1 1/2 inch piece of angle iron to get them back far enough to clear the wheels. I tried to make them look as much like the deuce setup as possible,

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I will add a nopics because I want to see them lit! :mrgreen:

Nice job on them! Thinking of using them on my M200A1.
Finally got around to connecting a battery to the trailer cable. The clearance LEDs are very bright. The lights are lit with 12 volts on them. I dd check the lighting also using 24 volts. Almost no difference in brilliance. As you know taking pictures up close with lights does not make for good pics.

Don't look to much at the front of the trailer cover. I have already painted the green on the cover. And will paint the black and brown when the weather allows me to do it outside. As most know painting is all about correct lighting. When in my pole barn I cannot get the correct shading with my lighting there.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While the trailer and craftsmenship are exemplary, I'm more interested in the sourch of those metal hooks you used with the super rope. THAT, is what I want to do with my trailer tarps.

zoto6ixty

Nice job! Any idea what those wheel came on? I would like a set for a M1031 I am working on and they don't seem to have the off set problems the H1 wheels would.. Thanks for any info.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking rig, Gene. [thumbzup] I see those bungies may be the answer for me too. The mudflaps look great. I'm planning on going to Marshfield Wi end of the week to pick up your spare tire and wheel. I'll bring it out end of March. Where do you plan to mount it? are you thinking on the tongue or possibly mounted under?

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I was told you only need to keep up with the current dot requirements if you are using it commercially

Like you I have heard from many self appointed experts both ways on the requirement for lighting on all types of trailers. I am in no way an expert on that subject. But if I read the article below and then look at the pictures at the end of the document I see many types of trailers shown. Many are not what I would call commercial.

So to not have a potential confrontation I chose to meet the specs listed in the following article. By the way I did a search of a few states on the non commercial trailer specs and did not find a state that did not require that all newer trailers meet the article findings. But as I said I am not the expert, you need to find out just what is required in your area. Looking at your state motor vehicle statutes is a good place to start. I personally know of people in the state of South Dakota that have been pulled over and ticketed for non commercial lighting violations by the carrier enforcement police.

It is easy to follow the article and the extra lights are a real big safety factor I believe. I Recommend complying with the article.

Trailer Poster Table for Website

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Nice looking rig, Gene. [thumbzup] I see those bungies may be the answer for me too. The mudflaps look great. I'm planning on going to Marshfield Wi end of the week to pick up your spare tire and wheel. I'll bring it out end of March. Where do you plan to mount it? are you thinking on the tongue or possibly mounted under?

Thanks. If you want some rubber rope do not buy any as I bought 150 feet of the stuff. You can have some when you come out. Also thanks for the spare tire pickup. I am not 100% sure where I will mount the tire. Both locations you have mentioned are in consideration at this time. I still need to mount the 6 inch swivel tire on the tongue as soon as I figure how I want to mount it. The regular leg is just to weak acting from side to side so I will have to come up with a more stable mount. If I mount the spare tire in the tongue area it will be way to much for the stability of the existing leg I think. That tire with the run flat etc in it is one heavy little tire/wheel assy.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Nice job! Any idea what those wheel came on? I would like a set for a M1031 I am working on and they don't seem to have the off set problems the H1 wheels would.. Thanks for any info.
I believe that tire and 12 bolt rim are the same ones used on earlier HMMWVs. As to the use of the tire and rim on a CUCV I would search or ask the CUCV forum.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gene, et al, I have an HMMWV spare strapped on the tongue of my A3 with that landing gear. It presents no problems at all and I find the trailer tracks better with the extra tongue weight. If you have a little patience, I may have some pics for you soon. Devilman96 is building a custom M101 and it will have an undermount spare using a spare tire hoist off a Chevy truck. The tire will be a 33x12.50x15.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks