• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028A2 rear end project

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put new used tires on all the way around and now I have a wobble of sorts. I put the rear axle on stands and had my wife run it up to 30mph so I could check it out for out of round tires. The right rear outer tires is either out of round or slightly off center. Easy day. I can fix that by switching it out with one of my 2 spares.

But... while the truck was turning the wheels at an idle I could hear a pronounced click, click, click for every turn on the wheels. I put my ear up to the differential cover and I am sure it is coming from there. I pulled the cover and inspected the ring gear and it looks good to me. Then I ran my fingers across every tooth. Again everything seems to be in good working order.

Any thoughts?

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just ran it idle again with the cover off and no clicking. Looks like I have slight play in the left rear wheel bearing. I'm going to pull both hubs and check everything out.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hubs and brakes look great. It's the first time I've had them off this truck. It has about 42,000 miles on it now.

20200711_162404.jpg
20200711_162416.jpg
20200711_162427.jpg
20200711_162435.jpg

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After pressure washing the brakes they look good except for the massive amount of surface rust. I'll lube the parts that need it and leave the rest alone. My brakes have not been giving me any grief. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
20200711_173906.jpg

The bearings on the Dana 80 are a little different than the 14 bolt. everything must come out, and go in, the bottom. There is a snap ring holding the outer bearing race.
20200711_173917.jpg
20200711_173922.jpg
20200711_173926.jpg

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Outer race (smaller of the two) is pitted. None of the bearings had any grease left in them. They were lubricated by the gear oil that had found its way to them. The seals look great and very robust. I'll be ordering new bearings and seals tomorrow.
20200711_183942.jpg

dependable

The rear wheal bearings are supposed to be lubed by the gear oil, which is why that seal is so important, and generally should be replaced when doing brake jobs, etc.

I wonder if the locker is causing any extra noise, never ran one on blocks and tried to listen, but it does cause what seems to be more than normal play, as well as the occasional loud clunk while driving.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rear wheal bearings are supposed to be lubed by the gear oil, which is why that seal is so important, and generally should be replaced when doing brake jobs, etc.

I wonder if the locker is causing any extra noise, never ran one on blocks and tried to listen, but it does cause what seems to be more than normal play, as well as the occasional loud clunk while driving.
I'm suspecting it is the locker as well. It has been 'clunking' a little more than before. Maybe the fluid change will clear things up.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not according to Spicer Dana. They call for wheel bearing grease. I'm sure that gear oil is expected to get in there but the bearings and rear end is not designed as an oil bathe system.

Attachments

dependable

You can't go wrong following the manual, but pretty sure they say that so they don't get started up dry. I would certainly grease newly installed bearings, disassemble just to re grease like one would front wheel bearings, ...no. I have never had apart for service and seen other than oil lubed bearings, in this type or any other similar rear axel.

pmramsey

I have owned my M1028A2 for eight years and its been driven more than 70,000 since purchased at auction. It has always clicked and jerked when taking a corner at certain speeds as the rear end changes drive sides. It has been serviced numerous times and given a complete inspection following the transmission and drive shaft rebuild in the first year of ownership.

Attachments

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have owned my M1028A2 for eight years and its been driven more than 70,000 since purchased at auction. It has always clicked and jerked when taking a corner at certain speeds as the rear end changes drive sides. It has been serviced numerous times and given a complete inspection following the transmission and drive shaft rebuild in the first year of ownership.
Nice truck. The clicking I heard wasn't normal. I only heard it because I was outside the truck checking the tires for out of round with the truck on jack stands. Over time it will either show itself or it won't. I did have a pitted bearing on the drivers side. New bearings are on the way. I'll have it off the stands and back on the road by next Friday.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What started as an investigation of a clicking sound in the diff has turned into; new brakes, bearings & seals. An additional 1 inch lift and moving the rear axle rearward another 1.5 inches. Funny how that all happens. Have a great weekend, I am.
20200718_121455.jpg

Last edited:

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The enemy has a vote. In this case the enemy is rust it it vetoed my attempt to install the lift block into the spring pack. I cannot remove the center pin. Luckily I circumvented the enemy and I am installing the new rear springs I have sitting here for my M1008 rebuild.
20200719_143232.jpg
20200719_143240.jpg

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So it's all back together with a new driveshaft installed. Guess what? Double cardan don't work with slip yokes. I should have known but figured it out and had the new shaft built.

Now I have an electrical problem to solve.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks