• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M103 Trailer/S250G With MEP002ask Behind a M1031 Contact Truck

brianrbull

I am starting this Thread to Document my Build from start to finish...

Phase 1 Planning and Discussion:

My intent is to build an Expedition Camper. I am planning on using the frame and axle from a M105a2 Trailer, an S250G Shelter, and a MEP-002ask .

I will be adding an onboard fuel tank of some sort , and an Underbody Style Spare Tire Carrier from an M1061 Laundry Trailer.

My Prime Mover needs to be my M1031 Contact Truck.

The intentions are to install the Shelter beginning center line of the axle, mounting the Generator sideways across the Trailer Frame. Spare Tire will be mounted at the rear most part of the frame.

I will need to
'
1: Flip the Lunette, Install M1061 Trailer rims with Load Range E 16.5 Tires Hopefully this will lower the trailer enough to comfortably pull with the CUCV.

2: Remove the Trailer Bed

3: Extend the rear of the trailer frame to accommodate the Shelter (102") Looks like centerline of the axle to end of frame is 50" so I will need to extend the frame an additional 52' Probably will do the extention with a combination of welding and plating as I intend to install a pintle hitch on the rear of the trailer.

4: I am going to make a deck of hardwood 2x6 to set the shelter on and then use cables and turnbuckles to hold it down.

5: The Brakes are going to need to operate as this trailer is going to be upwards of 4000# when finished. Electrical operated seems to be my best bet here.

6: The Generator will be mounted across the frame , Just forward of the tires. I am hoping the shelter will counterbalance the generator enough....

Am I crazy? Please pick me apart. I want to do this right as it will be my camper for a 6 month "Walkabout" once come home from the Sand Box (I am a Deployed Contractor)

86m1028

Sounds like a cool build.
Keep us updated with pics & progress.

Im betting your underestimating your total trailer weight.

red

If you can the m101 is a better trailer platform for your truck. Much lighter, has surge brakes, and is meant to be towed by a pickup. Your truck will pull the m103 setup how you want, just takes more work/money to get it right.

brianrbull

I have considered the M101, my fear is that it wont be strong enough to haul the S250/G and the MEP003a . I know the M103 is a much heavier trailer, 1600+ with the bed removed. I have ordered a stet of M1061 rims that will cut the weight some, and I will be changing out the M103 landing "Wheel" with a Bulldog jack. That should shave a few pounds....

red

A m101 should be fine but you're right the 103 is a stronger chassis and will handle the weight better. If you haven't purchased the trailer yet it would be cheaper to buy a m103a2 generator flatbed than a m105a2. Same chassis just a less desired bed so it sells cheaper.

How do you plan to address the brakes? Would cost a little more but a commercial 5k pound axle with electric brakes would be a simple swap and you can get them in the same 8x6.5" lug pattern your cucv has.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks