• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 SECM Generators

IowaFamilyGuy

Alrighty then,

I've got the suspension differences pretty well down, and I understand that there are 2 main different SECM cab styles (basically older versus newer). But I am pretty much struggling on Gensets vs Gen/Welders vs 10K PTO vs 12K PTO

Can anyone give a pretty solid explanation of the different styles of Generator or Gen/Welders that come in the 1031s?

Basically I'm trying to gather which ones are right for my needs. Also the air compressor seems ridiculously huge for it's need. Anyone ever attach a compact one for tools somewhere else?

m38inmaine

I have a M1031 with the pto 12kw gen setup. With mine you need a seperate welder in order to weld, all the generator does is supply power. They were issued with a Miller 208v 3phase suitcase welder which fit into a shelf under the generator control panel. In my opinion the air compressor is far from too large and is a bare minimum for running shop tools. The older shop truck had a welder/generator combo with no external welder needed but had alot less power and used a seperate fuel source.

IowaFamilyGuy

I'm with you, maybe the better phrase is that the compressor seems to take up too much landscape. I'm sure CFM and all is excellent, I just see the photos and think that it's eating up useful bulk storage space.

Also, does anyone have the TM for the SKO for these? Probably the ENG one, I would assume it's the closest to a vehicle maintance kit. No I don't plan on buying the tools one for one, but I would love to know what they thought went where when I plan out.

I think the TM is 4940-95-B25, but I'm not sure.

MARCO1031

I decided to go with an upright compressor in the forward right compartment where the tanks were for the torch. I also cleaned all of the miscellaneous brackets and hardware out from the inside of the main box. I plan on keeping all of my tools in the outer boxes. As for the generator I pulled out the Hobart for two reasons. First the thing is huge. It takes up nearly the entire front 2+ feet of the bed. Second, it weighs like 7 or 8 hundred pounds and only puts out 4kw. Since I have a wire welder my plan is to install a 6 or 7 KW diesel genset in place of the hobart. the new genny will take up a lot less space and can be fueled from the truck's fuel tanks.

IowaFamilyGuy

I was curious as to what the Hobart kicked out... You are right, 4KW isn't much for a monster. You have the same ideas I do Shawn. I love the idea of the big ol' mobile tool box with welding/compressor/generator. I could use it for construction or automotive, (very useful out here in Iowa) but if 1/4th of the bed is eaten up with something huge that could easily be swapped out for similar smaller... Logic calls crap on that.

Could someone let me know what a PTO driven gen hits? Or are there multiple ones? 10+KW ain't playing power or cost wise, and 1/4th of the truck eaten up with one of those would be worth it.

IowaFamilyGuy

12KW... Whoah. Now I understand why everyone who has a PTO one keeps it. 12KW is a lot, and it really doesn't take up much space in there, does it.

Well, that pretty much settles it...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just be careful when buying the PTO M1031s as the generator speed control system often seems to be cannibalized. I ended up buying a whole second SECM truck just to get these parts. SS member b4thundr seems to have an alternate to the Barber Coleman governor system figured out. I agree with Shawn, the heavy Hobart is too obsolete to be dragging around with you everywhere. Who stick welds anymore anyway??? My crackerbox has been mighty neglected ever since the wire feed machine moved in . . .

MARCO1031

I have found some 6 to 7KW diesel gennys in the $1000 to $2000 range and it looks like I can slide one in on the old rails for the hobart. The new one will be electric start and parts are readily available. If you needed 12KW then maybe the PTO is the way to go but along with the complexity of the system it seems like you could sure put a lot of hours on your engine.

When mine is finally finished I should have all the power I need to run my compressor, mig welder, lights, campsite, and whatever else I think I need. Plus I am adding additional tanks so that I will have lots of run time if needed without having to carry a bunch of cans.

IowaFamilyGuy

Excellent points...

More to think about...

I did do stick welding years ago, but will probably jump to a Millermatic 180 for this truck. And that wouldn't need more than a 7 - 8 KW. And you are right Shawn, they do make some really nice quiet ones that might mount nicely in there.

Do you happen to know the width dimensions of the rails?

lavarok

Just be careful when buying the PTO M1031s as the generator speed control system often seems to be cannibalized. I ended up buying a whole second SECM truck just to get these parts. SS member b4thundr seems to have an alternate to the Barber Coleman governor system figured out. I agree with Shawn, the heavy Hobart is too obsolete to be dragging around with you everywhere. Who stick welds anymore anyway??? My crackerbox has been mighty neglected ever since the wire feed machine moved in . . .

The alternate is the APEC 4500 which is made by Woodward as being discussed in an alternate thread.

MARCO1031

Well after searching for several weeks I have finally found a "new" diesel genset for my 1031. This week located an Guardian 75D 7.5 KW liquid cooled unit that is normally used on high end coaches and over the road rigs. I think it is going to work out very well for my needs. It will take up about a quarter of the space the old Hobart did. I just got back from the "recovery". It was a great deal but unfortunately was all the way up in Jacksonville so I have been on the road for 14 hours. I think I will begin the install this weekend. Pics to follow.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another alternative and one I will be pursuing is the purchase of a Miller Trailblazer or something of the like. Should accomplish all of my needs and not kill the front of the trailer (with SECM box).

MARCO1031

Hey Kenny have you ever used a site called crazedlist.org for searching craigslist? Crazedlist lets you search multiple craigslist regions at one time. Very cool. I used it to find the genny I just purchased. Might help in that search for the trailblazer. Hey is the trailblazer a stick or wire feed welder?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never used it but I sure will now! Thanks! The Trailblazer will do everything MIG TIG Stick.

Crash_AF

I've never used Crazedlist, I use SearchTempest which searches CL out to your distance setting and Ebay. It used to be called Craigshelper, but they changed it to head off any possible legal problems with using Craigs in the name.

Later,
Joe

IowaFamilyGuy

Today's update...

The Army Declassification team apparently didn't understand my request to declass the documents, because they recommended I get them off of the internet.... :cookoo:

I resubmitted with clarification that Declass was the request...

Next round please... :wink:

Crash_AF

Today's update...

The Army Declassification team apparently didn't understand my request to declass the documents, because they recommended I get them off of the internet.... :cookoo:

I resubmitted with clarification that Declass was the request...

Next round please... :wink:
LOL, well that's the Army for you...

Did you say that you'd love to get them off the internet but you keep running into that whole password requirement thing?

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks