• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m103a mkt-85 suspension help

kahlem01

Hi- this is my first post, could not find the info i need but am sure it is actually here somewhere. I have a 1984 mkt-85 that I am planning on using as a multipurpose camping base. I need to lighten the chassis which Is currently pulled out. I have removed all the brake stuff and am in process of removing the brake hubs from the axles. I wanted to replace the axle with a 3500# but not sure if i can simply trim weight by removing leafs and maybe replacing the tires/wheels with lighter civilian bolt on. Some more notes: the trailer is empty, no kitchen/no canvas just a gas bbq right now and will be used for camping and tailgating. The pintle is removed and a great job of an adjustable ball hitch was welded on. I am towing with an astro van , tows fine empty but i need to lose weight so i can add some gear. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If its already posted somewhere, just point me in the right direction. 3-3/8ths wheel bearing socket, who has that in a home toolbox?

thanks
mike

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a 3500 (I'd do a 6000#) axle in there. Each wheel and tire weighs 170# and the axle has to go 300#. I suppose you start dropping leaves out of springs and experiment with it. Whatever you do, make sure you have electric brakes. Trimming anywhere else reduces structural integrity. Be forewarned, somebody might get their feathers ruffled by you modifying an MKT. Ultimately it's your trailer though.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3-3/8ths wheel bearing socket, who has that in a home toolbox?

thanks
mike
Your local auto parts store, such as NAPA, should be able to get you an OTC 1924 ( 3-3/8" 8pt ) socket. If you cannot find one locally, I can sell you one. Send me a PM.

rwbrown72

By the way... there is an approval process for modifying all MV's. You must submit plans, photos and all information about parts to this site to be judged by everyone. Then the masses will let you know in a timely fashion if said improvements are approved. Other than that....It is your money! Go for it and take lots of pictures and post. You may just inspire someone else to get into the hobby! Welcome to the site. :-D

kahlem01

ok, before i get skewered, i bought the trailer Empty, without canvas. It was a prefect fit as multipurpose, camping with the kids, tailgating and especially trackside at nascar to watch the races. I love the trailer and it will make a great bar for the races. rwbrown72, maybe no tap but loads of coolers! better for me to turn it into something useful then scrap, right?

kahlem01

Chevy rates the astro at 5000 lbs towing, i don't belive it but i can tow the empty mkt without issue, i am guessing 3500-4k lbs. tows fine, i can post pics of the great engineering of the adjustable hitch if someone is interested. since the chasis is out right now, i can't post a pic being towed at this point but will post pics if need be, i need help though from people that have answers, and i am sure here is where, i hope. $365 plus two cases of beer for transport is good price, right?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A fully equipped MKT weighs 5400 pounds w/o fuel. The trailer part weighs almost half of that. A civilian axle with electric brakes will trim a couple of hundred pounds. If all the cooking stuff is stripped out you should have saved at least another 1000 pounds (six burners @ 50 lbs, two ranges @ another 50 lbs, range contents/accessories @ about 125 lbs, canvas @ at least 250 lbs for all pieces {18 pieces @ average 20-25 lbs each}, other cabinet fixtures of about 250-300 lbs and misc stuff @ 50 lbs). Go with the heavier axle as Kenny suggests (6000#), there will be less sway when you are traveling.2cents

kahlem01

ordering the otc 1924 socket today, thanks! I will take the brakes off first. I already stripped a few hundred pounds, the brake hubs will be a bunch more, then I will replace the landing gear. I would really like to keep the axle and find some civillian bolt on wheels and tires, any ideas for a direct replacement? Thanks for the help thus far.
mike

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets assume you get it stripped down to 2500#. You still plan on towing this with your Astro van right. Assuming the Astro has a 4.3, moving it should not be a problem. Planned stops should not be a problem either. Crisis stops present a bit of a hazard for me. The short wheelbase of the van and 2500 pushing could be a problem. Doing this while in some sort of curve or turn compounds the issues. There are several wheels you could go to on this bolt pattern but scrapping brakes seems like a concern to me. I suggested earlier a 6000# axle so that you could get some decent brakes. If that is too much at least go with the 3500# axle you suggested but put something on there for brakes. Making it go is no where near as important as making is whoa.

jwaller

I think some of the import cab over trucks like the isuzu have the same bolt pattern as the deuce/trailers. so you could prob find some of those that are much lighter and shorter...

kahlem01

rwbrown - let me know what you need, i carefully saved all the 'guts' and planned on trying to sell them, you are pretty far so i am guessing shipping would be steep.

recvry4x4 - thanks for the suggestions, I am going to start with what i have due to time constraints, but will most likely pursue your ideas after my annual trip to watkins glen, I have towed heavy, heavy trailer with no brakes but perhaps the dimensions of this thing may deem them neccisary. If I can get it around 3000 lbs loaded, i should be fine, all highway driving except the last 15 miles.

jwaller - thanks for the suggestion, i'll look for these at local scrapyard, should shed 200 lbs or so.

maplehillfrm

I dont know if I could bring myself to towing that with a astro van, with family in it,without brakes esp., that is going to be a high center of gravity,, its going to be taller than your van,, good luck, glad I'm on the other side of WG

rwbrown72

rwbrown - let me know what you need, i carefully saved all the 'guts' and planned on trying to sell them, you are pretty far so i am guessing shipping would be steep.

recvry4x4 - thanks for the suggestions, I am going to start with what i have due to time constraints, but will most likely pursue your ideas after my annual trip to watkins glen, I have towed heavy, heavy trailer with no brakes but perhaps the dimensions of this thing may deem them neccisary. If I can get it around 3000 lbs loaded, i should be fine, all highway driving except the last 15 miles.

jwaller - thanks for the suggestion, i'll look for these at local scrapyard, should shed 200 lbs or so.
I don't need anything right now. Just curious. There are a lot of guys that would like this stuff. You should not a have problem selling them. Good luck.

jwaller

the isuzu's even had a lowpro version with smaller tires and wheels. So when you remove the brakes and all that you could prob fit the smaller wheels and tires on there.

kahlem01

maplehillfarm - i'll be going right through binghamton on my way to the glen. No worries, I won't tow if the weight does not come down and will not have family with me going to the races. I am your side of the glen coming from philly area.8) btw, my did lives near you, just outside of Montrose.

jwaller - thanks for the tip, i'll check local truck scrapyard next week.

anyone else need anything that I may have removed, let me know.

I'll trial it locally before i make the trip, it did tow well last time hitched up, just was too heavy.

kahlem01

I looked at quite a few axles with brakes, seems that the spring centers is an issue because of the narrow chassis. I would like to keep the original spring mounts, ideas?

rwbrown72

I finally just bought one, so I will be calling soon for some of the guts!

RB

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks