• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 camper in the Glamis dunes Thanksgiving 2016

Duckworthe

Morning everyone. I was trying to post some pics yesterday but the site kept locking up and not responding. Will try again today. I took camper out to Glamis sand dunes here in SOCAL. It is always a great time. First time taking the truck out into serious sand dunes. Everyone was asking if I could make it up to the top and I said probably not. As I was sitting at the bottom of a dune called "Oldsmobile". If you haven't seen or heard of it, its basically a monster. Side by sides don't always make it up with paddle tires. But as the night went on I decided that's where I was going to camp for the night so at 12 am I started for the top. First attempt I only made it half way and had to come back down. The second time I went about 90% of the way and just dug in. At that point I had a few good options and many bad options. I chose the good options naturally! I aired down to emergency mode and while a hundred or so people watching and asking me "why I hadn't shat my pants yet" I gave her a bit of pedal and she lifted up and out of the craters she dug a few minutes earlier and climbed the rest of the way to the top. It was pretty cool and everyone was surprised that it made it. So from 12 am till 0330 I had to answer a million questions about the truck and who made it for me. It was great to say that it was an affordable army truck that I built into this camper with my own two hands and the help of my sister when she could help. It was a great time. Please enjoy the pics and know that it was a win for all of those who take these trucks and restore or modify them and keep them on the road. Even the Park Rangers were truly impressed with how it worked. So those of you making campers, you know who you are, lets get them going and go for a trip and enjoy them as much as we enjoy working on them.
Dune 1.jpgDune 2.jpgDune 3.jpg

1951M1078

Now how cool is that. Great shots also. Any more ? Love FMTV ( Papa,Oscar,Romeo,November ).Wont let me right **** .

Last edited:

Duckworthe

How long is your box ? That sounds dirty ? LOL How about how long is the camper ?
The Camper box is 16ft long. So I added 4ft after the end of the frame rails. The extra 4ft is my bed and then my quad or Dual sport bike on the rear rack. the rack if normally only 2 foot for the bike but when I haul the quad I flip it out to 4ft.

Duckworthe

Ok here are some pics of the interior as of last night. I need to finish some trim and also the cabinet doors under the counter but overall I'm happy with it. the first two are of the Dometic cf-110 deep freezer that I finished the install of last night. Its on sliders and slides back into the storage area so its not in the way.it works amazing and cools down to 0F!

Camper interior 1.jpgCamper interior 2.jpgCamper interior 3.jpgCamper interior 4.jpg

1951M1078

Did you make the box so it could be removed ? I have been thinking about keeping the bed are maybe making a Alum. one to cut down some weight.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a very nice build! I like the floor plan and the removable table.

It almost looks like you build RVs for a living.

Duckworthe

The bed weighs about the same as my camper box structure itself. That is not including all the stuff in the box now. Just the empty box. Yes I can remove it in case it ever needs to be moved to another truck one day. However, with it registered in Ca. as an RV I can't drive it as a flat bed anyway. Big tickets from cops. And it is way to much to register in Ca. as regular truck, almost $1000 a year to register that way. I'm sure I could do it this way or that way and work the system but I don't have time for those silly reindeer games. LOL. It's only $120 a year as RV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks