• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1078 vs topkick for a service truck

simbatheking

hi, im in the market for a service truck that is somewhat offroad capable. If i got a topkick, my plan is to modify the suspension with 4 links front and rear and airbag suspension as well as reagear it for larger super single 41" tires. I can find these already setup as mechanic trucks with cranes.
if i got an m1078 i would leave the suspension alone and have to build or put a service body on it. I'm trying to figure out which vehicle would be more economical in the long run as far as fuel consumption and reliability goes. It would probably sit and idle for long periods of time. disadvantage with the m1078 is the payload is pretty small at 7k lbs once the bed is removed. I would need an aluminium service body and have to watch my weight for sure, but its doable.

Ronmar

Have you driven one? That would probably be my first step if I was thinking about something like this...

IMO, unless you are prepared to put an additional 4-5K into diffs and drivelines, you might be disappointed. Yes, the 4wd is nice off-road, and for it’s size it is a pretty maneuverable and capable beast... but it comes at a price of steep driveshaft angles and low axle gearing that deliver high driveshaft RPM and limit highway speed. changing the differential gear ratio improve highway speed(gets the tach away from redline) and lowers the driveshaft RPM.

what sort of mileage you going to get out of a topkick? I would expect no better than 5 MPG out of a loaded down 1078...

you might could convert a topkick to 4wd on what you may spend outfitting a 1078 as a service truck... that said they are a capable truck, they just have their limitations.

simbatheking

no i have never driven a 1078. theyre not common where i live in canada. do they ride like shit? topkicks ride like shit which is why i would convert it to an air ride suspension, but other than that, a topkick can be bought 4x4 turn key with a service body, duramax engine and allison trans for about 50k. 1078 in good shape go for around 20k at auction, and then i would have to spend another 30-40k to figure out a service body with a crane, welder etc. a topkick weighs a bit less but can go highway speed no problem and get about 8mpg with the tires i want to put on it.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Gololy, for that much bucks one could just buy a NEW truck outfitted the way one wants.
One persons time with shop time is 50 bucks an hour and anothers' 'tis $250 and hour and way up to $900 an hour for the labor/shop time. You up there in the new Ford Raptor range now.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to look at a 1084 instead its 6 wheel drive and you will have the payload that will more than be adequate and I doubt there is a big price difference. One thing you can ask on this site is availability of cab replacement parts simple parts like door handles, window cranks windshields you know the easy stuff but if you didnt have it would off line the truck. The CAT engine and the Allison trans are serviceable/parts and any dealers so its pretty easy from that standpoint. I believe if you looked a bit you could fins a 1084 with a crane on the back also but that could be the model UP to? Good luck in your search and priced out it will be interesting where you end up at?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hi, im in the market for a service truck that is somewhat offroad capable. If i got a topkick, my plan is to modify the suspension with 4 links front and rear and airbag suspension as well as reagear it for larger super single 41" tires. I can find these already setup as mechanic trucks with cranes.
if i got an m1078 i would leave the suspension alone and have to build or put a service body on it. I'm trying to figure out which vehicle would be more economical in the long run as far as fuel consumption and reliability goes. It would probably sit and idle for long periods of time. disadvantage with the m1078 is the payload is pretty small at 7k lbs once the bed is removed. I would need an aluminium service body and have to watch my weight for sure, but its doable.

You're new here so welcome to the experience. I overheard through the raisin vine that ex-military vehicle insurance is becoming a challenge in B.C. Make a call to ICBC just to see what they say before shopping. Give us the heads up on the information you're getting because it's real important the community stays current on restrictions. If we talk about Fairmont Hotsprings and how beautiful the Invermere area is, everyone here will want to visit in their MV's. It may take a community to keep MV's on the road in a particular area so dig in and report back.

If you can easily get insurance for anything then that just makes the decision harder. MV's are cool so taking some time in life to own one is fantastic.

DSCF6203.jpeg

My wiser brother asked me if I want to 'work on a truck' or 'go to work with a truck'........and I didn't listen.....entirely. I did both. Got an MV to plow snow and a chev with a trailer to haul the MV around when it didn't work. The experience of meeting the diverse MV community alone was worth the investment of buying an MV......or 10 MV's.... you can't just have one!

m135 fleet.jpgdeerjellybean.JPG51panel.jpggm135.jpg157040220_1630109584043383_5670175265655915881_n.jpg548.jpeg3trucks.jpg

SausageGuy

It depends on how much fast hwy driving you will be doing. The top kick is better on hwy and the FMTV is better off road.
I agree about M1084 being a better option since it has crane and 5 ton capacity but a wrecker has the crane in the middle and you could put
service body on the back where the underbody lift is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks