• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078AO Cargo Cover

Choppers

I'm thinking of using light weight currugated metal to make a cargo cover on my M1078.

Top only, to the horizontal pipe, with open sides. Bolted on with thru bolts and big washers. Rubber in between metal bow and currugated sheets.

Normally 45 MPH or so is my top speed, never had it over 55, though it can do more. With currogations in line with vehicle and wind.

Fairly light, alot cheaper than new canvas that seems to run between 1k and 2k.

What do you think?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking of doing something similar. You will need to add a way to strap the tube cage down. There are originally little strap buckles on the tubes to do this, though by this point most are gone or the straps are gone.

I was parked and had all the sides on my top rolled up once, without the cage strapped down, and a big gust of wind came and lifted some of the bows up out of the bed, and actually slightly bent the tubes. So it can generate a lot of lift and force.

Choppers

Awesomeness

Good point.

I keep mine rolled up and in a windstorm last week the cover had enough lift to pull the rear bow (2 poles) out of the slots.

Could probably bolt in place as well.

I think with a thoughtful, sturdy installation, it would be serviceable an look good as well.

Hardware would be roughly half the cost, with metal second highest cost, and paint for the bows in last place, as this would be the time to wire wheel and paint them prior to project completion.

A day project, I think.

Thanks for your input

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wasn't going to use corrugated metal, though. I would use flat sheet metal, maybe aluminum about as thick as used in a stop sign (1/8"?), or steel about half that thick. I think it would look better. I had seen a safari vehicle like this.

With a little careful engineering, you could probably make it so the stock cover could still be put on over it. It would be difficult to accommodate the snap-around attachments that run down the middle of the top, but you should still be able to strap it down at the sides (might have to add an additional horizontal bar, or something).

Choppers

I agree with the flat sheet metal looking better.

It definitely would, especially after adding the canvas over it.

My point, in part at least, is to save a bit of money and have something that both looks good and is serviceable.

I'm a Bit of a tightwad hillbilly; i can afford it, does not mean I should buy it.

keeping my monney in my pocket is high on my list of priorities.

And I like making stuff work. To meet my needs.

My canvas, still on the truck, may very well be the original cover, and is mostly shreds.

So itz basically a pattern t this point.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks