• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088 Upgrades

Zuluaga63

I'm Getting an MTV 6x6 1088A1 and i want to do some upgrades since i will be turning into and expedition truck
But i'm having trouble finding where i can take the truck to do this upgrades.
I would appreciate if you can recommend a company that has worked on this trucks before that could help me out.

1) change the gearing so i would be able to cruise at 55mph or 60mph
2) adding A/C to the cap
3) Do maintenance to the truck
4) add insulation
5)add sound system (I can do this, but i would rather a professional do it)

- I will be doing the built In California

Thanks in advance,

Alejandro Z

acolesurf

There’s a company in the San Francisco Bay Area that specializes in Humvees and other military trucks, I’ll try and find their name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zuluaga63

Thanks Acolesurf i will do that.

Quick question.. MTP drive train responded to my email and told me that each axle is $2500 for install of the 307 ratio diff, do i need to change the 3 axles or just the middle one ? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Zuluaga63

the idea is to cruise at 55mph or 60 that is why i wanted to change the gears but, i guess ill leave it for know like this and if i travel to south america i can get it done there for cheaper in a CAD mechanic shop

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very few shops understand setting up the wheel end spider gears properly. If you guess the gear lash, they will grind and rumble and self-destruct. The wheel ends have to come apart to change the front differential. Also, lately, the surplus high speed ring and pinion gears are dried up, you have to obtain these new from Meritor, and again, these have to be set up by someone well versed in driveline work.

Zuluaga63

Very few shops understand setting up the wheel end spider gears properly. If you guess the gear lash, they will grind and rumble and self-destruct. The wheel ends have to come apart to change the front differential. Also, lately, the surplus high speed ring and pinion gears are dried up, you have to obtain these new from Meritor, and again, these have to be set up by someone well versed in driveline work.
thats good to know thanks,
I was thinking of buying something like this and taking it to a caterpillar shop or truck shop to have the rears replaced, but know you made me nervous of having the job done wrong or something.

https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/6289/LMTV-FMTV-307-Ratio-Driving-Differential-Pumpkin

This is not a job i would be able to do my self right ? (i'm a hands on person)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installing the third member assembly as available from Eastern can be done by any mechanic.

gestut

Welcome. I highly recommend MTP Drivetrain in Many, LA for #1 and 3.
Saw this post as i was doing some research on MTP. I just acquired a humvee that has a rebuild plate of 08/14, but I know its a 2003 ~ 2004 by the ser #. There are stickers on engine and transmission with MTP logo on it and rb date of 8/14. the question is does military contracts out mtp ? who does the install, mtp or military, assuming military. just trying to understand what I have and when and why does military rebuid engine and trans.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw this post as i was doing some research on MTP. I just acquired a humvee that has a rebuild plate of 08/14, but I know its a 2003 ~ 2004 by the ser #. There are stickers on engine and transmission with MTP logo on it and rb date of 8/14. the question is does military contracts out mtp ? who does the install, mtp or military, assuming military. just trying to understand what I have and when and why does military rebuid engine and trans.
MTP has a very impressive facility in western Louisiana where they rebuild all sorts of powertrain items on contract with DOD and sometimes OEMs that have DOD contracts to rebuild their own trucks. The trucks such as HMMWVs are not brought to MTP for the installation of the engines, rather, the engines are shipped to various vehicle remanufacturing locations such as Red River Depot, various RSMS operations all over the US, and who knows where else for installation. These overhaul facilities are operated by civilian contractors or state agencies. Some of the engines are also sent to the Army/USMC supply system for issue to using troops.

Last edited:

gestut

MTP has a very impressive facility in eastern Louisiana where they rebuild all sorts of powertrain items on contract with DOD and sometimes OEMs that have DOD contracts to rebuild their own trucks. The trucks such as HMMWVs are not brought to MTP for the installation of the engines, rather, the engines are shipped to various vehicle remanufacturing locations such as Red River Depot, various RSMS operations all over the US, and who knows where else for installation. These overhaul facilities are operated by civilian contractors or state agencies. Some of the engines are also sent to the Army/USMC supply system for issue to using troops.
Thanks for the detail info. So i guess i got lucky with mtp recent rebuild hopefully . I havent got thr humvee yet . Waiting for euc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks