• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A2 Exterior Attachments questions

goldneagle

I was looking over my newly acquired M109A2 and noticed some attachments that I was not sure what they were used for. I have them highlighted in the included photo. I also pointed out all the tie down points. What were these used for?

Attachments

54reo

The upper brackets were used for a place to temporarily mount a light (work light), a reference to it is in an older TM I have around here somewhere.

The lower tie down points are for securing the cargo cover that could be used to help disguise it as a regular cargo truck. The cover could also be used to provide a means of "shade" over the truck. (i.e. the cover was placed over the top of the box, and a set of rods were used at the lower part of the cover to support it and hold it off of the sides, much like a canopy of sorts)

goldneagle

The upper brackets were used for a place to temporarily mount a light (work light), a reference to it is in an older TM I have around here somewhere.

The lower tie down points are for securing the cargo cover that could be used to help disguise it as a regular cargo truck. The cover could also be used to provide a means of "shade" over the truck. (i.e. the cover was placed over the top of the box, and a set of rods were used at the lower part of the cover to support it and hold it off of the sides, much like a canopy of sorts)
I would love to see some pictures of the setup.

BTW.. I wonder if I should change my ID to 58REO ? (Since I have a 1958 REO M35 converted to M109A2)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The upper mounts also held the bows. GE, look in DD's Standard Catalog of Military Vehicles page 139 and 140 (shows the bows and tarp installed).

goldneagle

The upper mounts also held the bows. GE, look in DD's Standard Catalog of Military Vehicles page 139 and 140 (shows the bows and tarp installed).
OK where do I find the book? It's not like we were given these books when we joined SteelSoldiers.com

Maybe you can scan the picture in????

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK where do I find the book? It's not like we were given these books when we joined SteelSoldiers.com

Maybe you can scan the picture in????
Sorry, no scan possible. I head overseas again tomorrow morning. Check ebay or any show David Doyle goes to. Great book by the way.[thumbzup]

54reo

The bows were secured via other brackets that are no longer present on your box.

It is highly recommended that everyone in this hobby should (needs to?) own a copy of DD"s book!

Last edited:

Katahdin

Here's what I think is a glimpse of one from a Vietnam motor pool. Look at the far left, you can see canvas overlapping what might be a M109. Looks like they doubled up on M35 Canvas to cover the extra height of the 109.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks