• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101/02 trailers: I need to change the wheels and need the exact size

BudMan

I have an M1101 trailer and want to pull it with my Wrangler. I don't want to lift the Wrangler any higher so I definitely need to lower the trailer a tad. The trailer i got from GovPlanet is virtually unused although it wads issued to a unit. I want to rumove the HUMVEE wheels and replaced them with 16" inch rims. I know the size is eight lug 6.5 inch but a local tire shop claims that there five different variations of 8x6.5 pattern rims. Can anyone tell me how to recognize the correct rims if buying them used? I am hoping to get a set, sand blast them and have them powder coated black.

The only trouble I had pulling the trailer the 240 miles home from the pickup point is all the other drivers who would start to pass me in the left lane, slow to look at the trailer and as they did, started to drift into me.

Picked up 3.jpg

goldneagle

You can use the tires and rims from a CUCV M1008 truck. It has 16" rims, 8 bolt pattern. The M1101 uses HMMWV rims that are 16.5" rims, 8 bolt pattern.

maxtor

The lug nut spacing is standard Chevy 8 lug. I altered the hitch on our M1101 and kept the stock tires on our trailer. I did purchase chevy wheels for our M116a3 that uses the same stock 37x12.5 tires the M1101 uses.

P1010283.jpg P1010196.jpg

1stDeuce

Wow, that's a nice writeup! :)

The tire guy was confused at best. The pattern is 8 on 6-1/2, and though there were different center hub dimensions between GM/Ford/Dodge, they all used the same bolt pattern for a LONG time. (Dodge still does. GM changed the trucks in 2011 but not the suburban, and Ford changed in '99.) The hub dia on the 1101/2 trailers is smaller than any 8-lug truck wheels, so they all fit just fine.

BTW, using '88+ GM wheels off a 4x4 (7" wide, ~6" of backspace) keeps the tires tucked under the trailer better. With any other wheels, they stick out farther than the 37's did.

Last edited:

Ukalama

Will any aftermarket 8x6.5 wheels fit? As mentioned above, it's safe to assume that the hub diameter doesn't matter? I found some Procomp wheels on craigslist and I just want to make sure they'll work before I buy them.

1stDeuce

They should bolt up but they'll likely stick out farther than the 37's. Most after market wheels have less backspacing than the gm wheels I recommended.

Amer-team

I went to the wrecking yard and found an older Dodge or Ford, bigger center hole, which doesn't really matter with the trailer, but if you need to use one of those tires as a spare on your Dodge or Ford puller, they won't work if you get the GM wheel. You can also watch CL as people are selling takeoffs all the time.

By putting the 16 inch tires on, it lowers the tail of the trailer by about 4 to 6 inches. I tow with a Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4. You may work with your hitch height to help out too. You will really like this trailer once you get it set the way you want.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know what the BORE size needs to be? I see ads on craigslist for Silverdao wheels but the bore looks much smaller than even my 6-lug M1009 wheels.

Attachments

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Oops, you probably meant for your m1009... You're right, the center bore is too small, but the backspacing on the 88-up wheels is also too deep. None of the OE gm 6-lug wheels you see on cl will fit. Conversely, most of the aftermarket wheels will...

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bore on all 6lug wheels is too small, but they're 6 lug, so they don't work anyway... ??
Oops, you probably meant for your m1009... You're right, the center bore is too small, but the backspacing on the 88-up wheels is also too deep. None of the OE gm 6-lug wheels you see on cl will fit. Conversely, most of the aftermarket wheels will...
The six-lug was just the picture I was able to find. I was wondering what the bore size needed to be (min) to fit my M1101 trailer. Unless you've all been saying all along that the GM eight-lug wheels only ever came with one bore size. The six-lug wheels came with at least two bore sizes, and toyota six-lugs have at least another two.

Amer-team

Just measured the rear axle on the Dodge ambulance. It has 9.50x16.5 with a 4.75 hole diameter. You can get by a little smaller, but if you get that size, it will fit on any 8 hole application you currently have or will in the future. I picked up 4 nice wheels and tires at a garage sale for $60. The guy had changed out tires and wheels on his truck and left these in the garage and was tired of tripping over them. If you have access to an M101A1 trailer, those wheels are the right size also. I almost bought an M116 trailer, because it was cheap and had the right tires and wheels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks