• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 - A few questions

WoundedVet

I picked one up and love it. That said, I have a few concerns that I am hoping users here can help me solve/alleviate.

1. A trailer seems really bouncy. Is this just a symptom of hauling with no weight in it? I don't recall it being that bouncy while in the service, but honestly didn't pay that much attention.

2. Has anyone devised a way to integrate/install an electric braking system? I have a F250 that I tow it with, and I would love to add this capability.

3. Managing a little bit of rust: I am neophyte when it comes to this. Is it just as simple as using a wire brush (or grind, whichever) and recoating with paint?

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you look down the page on the left you will see similar threads on these trailers
Bounce may be because of air pressure, what are you running, mine are at 20psig
The surge has been enough brake for my use so can't comment on that
Rust since there is not a lot of steel can be controlled with electric wire brush, extend or primer and paint.

harleyhouse

Tire pressure will solve the bouncing problem. try until you stop the bounce.
The axles are DEXTER so they may have a replacement backing plate that has an electric brake systenm to work with
the current drums. As for rust... Most or it is aluminum. What is rusting?

Last edited:

WoundedVet

Okay, cool. I'll play with the tire pressure. Again, it was empty, so I assume that has a lot to do with it.

The rust exists primarily on the lunette ring, front support leg, and that general area. I'll strip and grind it, and put some new fresh paint on it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If properly adjusted surge brakes has all the braking you will need with any vehicle towing it . Electric brakes seem more problematic when not used often , rust cause the magnets to hang up and not release the brakes . IMHO

WoundedVet

If properly adjusted surge brakes has all the braking you will need with any vehicle towing it . Electric brakes seem more problematic when not used often , rust cause the magnets to hang up and not release the brakes . IMHO
Good to know. I admit I am not experienced in this area. I just want to make sure I don't jack-knife with a heavy load, or anything similar.

glassk

I picked one up and love it. That said, I have a few concerns that I am hoping users here can help me solve/alleviate.

1. A trailer seems really bouncy. Is this just a symptom of hauling with no weight in it? I don't recall it being that bouncy while in the service, but honestly didn't pay that much attention.

2. Has anyone devised a way to integrate/install an electric braking system? I have a F250 that I tow it with, and I would love to add this capability.

3. Managing a little bit of rust: I am neophyte when it comes to this. Is it just as simple as using a wire brush (or grind, whichever) and recoating with paint?

Dexter Electric Hydraulic Brake Actuator Trailer Drum

http://www.easternmarine.com/Electric-Hydraulic-Brake-Actuators/

Electric / Hydraulic Actuators use the tow vehicle's electric brake activator system to engage a hydraulic pump which applies the necessary PSI to operate hydraulic drum or disc trailer brakes. When selecting an actuator please consider the application (disc or drum) and the towing capacity requirements.

could keep drum setup then

WoundedVet

Dexter Electric Hydraulic Brake Actuator Trailer Drum

http://www.easternmarine.com/Electric-Hydraulic-Brake-Actuators/

Electric / Hydraulic Actuators use the tow vehicle's electric brake activator system to engage a hydraulic pump which applies the necessary PSI to operate hydraulic drum or disc trailer brakes. When selecting an actuator please consider the application (disc or drum) and the towing capacity requirements.

could keep drum setup then
Thank you for this, Glassk!

ECS

Old thread but I have a question on attaching the parking brake cable to the Dexter Electric Brakes.

The Dexter brakes need some other part or maybe some other cable?
The dexter have a leaver on the out side (see picture) .. has anyone swapped out the parking brake cables for some others?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks