• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1102

Jkgts1

Hello new here and just got an M1102 trailer. I’m looking at different ways to get it to sit level with my truck. I’ve swapped out wheels and tires already and it helped, but still tall. I also saw a post on cutting out the spacer between the suspension and frame. Don’t want to do this yet. I have one of those Pintle plates with a bunch of holes on the truck. It’s flipped upside down in an effort to level everything. I just don’t feel this is the best way to use it, even though the manufacturer says it can be used upside down. Also my tailgate hits the hitch in the current position if I lower it.
I saw that they make adjustable lunette Rings. Has anyone changed their lunette to one of these adjustable ones with the multiple holes. I guess there are 2 options, weld this adjuster plate to the trailer or maybe swapping out one that is already welded. I know nothing about surge brakes so I’m not sure if you can even change this piece out or if you need to buy a whole new surge brake unit. Any thoughts?

tobyS

I lengthened mine out and use a ball. Also put a bolt in to stop the plunger and lock out the brakes. The plunger is cast steel, so can be welded.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If that spacer is rivited in, you will have a major job if you go in that direction. Those rivets used on the frame/body of the m1101 are a pia....

tobyS

If you make a change like mine, the heat from welding on one side will cause it to make a C shape, not stay straight. This affects putting in a ball or ring unit. I cut one bolt hole off and is not so obvious like 6 hole was. I used a 4 1/2" cut off wheel to cut the ring off the plunger.

Take your brake unit entirely apart and check for bent metal mount bracket for the master cylinder. Straighten it. They get very loose and perform much better if the trailer cannot move far before actuation. Most have bent insides from hard breaking if the trailer has been used.

Jkgts1

I lengthened mine out and use a ball. Also put a bolt in to stop the plunger and lock out the brakes. The plunger is cast steel, so can be welded.
So did you disable the brakes? I wanted to keep mine functional, but have that exact coupler you have.

Jkgts1

The brakes will function normally when I remove the bolt that I installed. I have not remade the brake line yet and I don't want the movement with a dry MC. So no brakes. But it's my weldtrailer and not complete to dot.....yet.
Oh I see. Good lookin trailer.

Jkgts1

So the manual Zed posted says it’s a Titan model 6, if this is so I found a inner sleeve on Etrailer that fits my needs. Hope it fits. Are there any concerns that these are not Titan model 6 actuators?

tobyS

Thanks...there was not a corner that hadn't been beat up. It did clean up nice. top and sides get steel. I don't know the make of the actuator, Titan may be right.

Jkgts1

I hope so, I tried emailing the manufacturer of the trailer to see if they would tell me, but still waiting for the reply. Then I was going to email Etrailer.com, but couldn’t find a contact number or email address on their website hahaha. I guess they don’t want to talk to me.

Zed254

Read the TM: TM 9-2330-392-14&P

Follow the parts trail down the rabbit hole until you find something that matches the Titan manual. Use this website for checking out NSN and manufacturer's part numbers: https://www.parttarget.com/2530-01-...choption=nsn&originalsearchtext=2530011210786

Titan and Dico combined into 1 company so part numbers are kind of blended. It looks like Schutt and Silver Eagle are listed as the manufacturer of the hydraulic brake systems of their trailers. I saw Raytheon listed Dico as a supplier for the lunette ring (Coupler, Drawbar) for one of their trailers and the Titan manual's part numbers started showing up. Enjoy the research.....

Last edited:

Jkgts1

Haha so after I ordered the part form etrailer that’s for a Titan model 6, I got an email from Schutt saying they use Dexter surge brake components. They look very similar. I won’t know till I have both stock piece and new one side by side to tell if it will work. In the end, if it doesn’t fit, I think I can just get a piece of steel tube that matches the inner sliding sleeve and make the appropriate holes and channels and make my own. We will see.

Jkgts1

So the part that I ordered from etrailer.com took way too long to come in. I got impatient haha. I just made my own. Sounds easy but not really. The tube size is 3" x 2.5" external dimensions. Side wall is about 3/8" thick and top and bottom wall thickness is about 1/4". So, as you can see not easy to find, actually impossible. All these dimensions matter if you want to retain the surge brakes. What I did was get 3"x3", 3/8" wall square tube, cut one side off so it is 2.5" tall and welded it back. The problem now was that the steel wheels that ride in the tube will not fit because my tube is 3/8" thick all the way around. Sorry if this seems confusing, but if any of you have taken this apart, you know what I am talking about. Anyway I just had a machinist turn down the steel wheels so they will fit into the tube. Then welded the adjustable channel to the tube and it was done. I have since towed it on a camping trip with no problems. Wish i knew how to post pics haha.

Jkgts1

On a different note. Has anyone installed L-track on their trailer for tie down points. I dont really like the 1' strap hoops on the outside of the trailer sides. Some of mine are loose and missing. I bought 2 6' L-track strips to install on the top side walls or maybe on the inside. Im a little worried about using blind rivet nuts for the track. The bolts for the track is 1/4-20 and afraid the might rip out easy. Any ideas?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks