• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1123 Brush Guard & Bumper Options

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a tubular brush guard on my M1123, but wanting something with a little more front end protection for driving at night through deer country. What would you guys recommend? I've seen Ibis Tek, Midwest Military winch and stubby, and some ridiculously overpriced Predators. Would eventually like to do a winch as well.

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the one you have now offers more hood protection than many of the others short of the predator style, as most of the military ones for the GMV trucks focused more on pushing stuff out of the way and keeping the truck moving, not on protecting the fiberglass of the hood.

The W style front bumper is really heavy duty in the middle, but at the ends it's below the level of the turn signals. The Ibistek is about the same, but sticks out further in front of the truck (by about a foot).
Any of the military ones can be used with a winch. The ibistek requires the A2 winch plate (that you have) and the W style can be used with the milemarker plate, and possibly the A2 plate (i got my milemarker winch plate from a guy changing from a W style to the ibistek push bumper)

I don't believe there are any issues with the predator style and winch plates.

The luverne style brush guard certainly is heavier than the one you have now, and would probably offer better protection from head on impact than the tubular style.

If deer are your biggest worry, then the predator D ring brush guard is probably the best overall protection for the front end/hood. It costs a lot, but it's less than a new replacement hood.

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do like the luverne style but cant tell who out there has the real deal and who is building a knock off copy. I've seen some with the expanded metal mesh in them too but didn't know if that was an authentic look either. I do like that the luverne guards at least catch themselves and have the buffers vs just falling to the ground like the tubular style. The tubular on my truck doesn't even use a bushing or even a bolt that properly aligns things, so its takes jiggling and lifting it every time you have to pull or insert a pin.

Action

I do like the luverne style but cant tell who out there has the real deal and who is building a knock off copy. I've seen some with the expanded metal mesh in them too but didn't know if that was an authentic look either. I do like that the luverne guards at least catch themselves and have the buffers vs just falling to the ground like the tubular style. The tubular on my truck doesn't even use a bushing or even a bolt that properly aligns things, so its takes jiggling and lifting it every time you have to pull or insert a pin.
There should be a bushing on each side. I pivot mine up and push the pins in. I have the same tubular guard. When opening the hood, you can remove the pins then stick a long skinny screwdriver into a pin hole. Pull the guard forward to hold screwdriver in place. Lift the hood.
this gives clearance for the turn signals.

Last edited:

Hummer Guy

Have a tubular brush guard on my M1123, but wanting something with a little more front end protection for driving at night through deer country. What would you guys recommend? I've seen Ibis Tek, Midwest Military winch and stubby, and some ridiculously overpriced Predators. Would eventually like to do a winch as well.
There is a IBIS Tek bumper on ebay right now, but its very pricey at 3k and you got to pick it up yourself or get a Uship driver.

I bought this same tubular bumper, I thought that was the most heavy duty one besides the IBIS Tek, I'm thinking about getting the bumper with the mesh inside before my govplanet humvee actually comes.

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the one you have now offers more hood protection than many of the others short of the predator style, as most of the military ones for the GMV trucks focused more on pushing stuff out of the way and keeping the truck moving, not on protecting the fiberglass of the hood.

The W style front bumper is really heavy duty in the middle, but at the ends it's below the level of the turn signals. The Ibistek is about the same, but sticks out further in front of the truck (by about a foot).
Any of the military ones can be used with a winch. The ibistek requires the A2 winch plate (that you have) and the W style can be used with the milemarker plate, and possibly the A2 plate (i got my milemarker winch plate from a guy changing from a W style to the ibistek push bumper)

I don't believe there are any issues with the predator style and winch plates.

The luverne style brush guard certainly is heavier than the one you have now, and would probably offer better protection from head on impact than the tubular style.

If deer are your biggest worry, then the predator D ring brush guard is probably the best overall protection for the front end/hood. It costs a lot, but it's less than a new replacement hood.
#Coug, can the luverne style guard be run with a tow bar? I do like that I have the ability with my current setup to install a tow bar if I ever need to pull my truck somewhere. I couldn't tell if that was even an option with the luverne installed. Don't own the tow bar yet, but on the hunt.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMO the Luverne BG offer the best protection as it’s a sturdy piece of steel, all the rest are flimsy garbage.
not sure why the military ceased buying them, perhaps because they are too heavy?
outside of mounting them an M998 or standard bumper plate, you would need to do some fabrication work.
there are 2 mounts available, one for round 3 hole bumper plate, the other for winch bumper plate.
expect to pay a premium for the setup…and yes, there are several versions of the BG with mesh covering various openings.

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMO the Luverne BG offer the best protection as it’s a sturdy piece of steel, all the rest are flimsy garbage.
not sure why the military ceased buying them, perhaps because they are too heavy?
outside of mounting them an M998 or standard bumper plate, you would need to do some fabrication work.
there are 2 mounts available, one for round 3 hole bumper plate, the other for winch bumper plate.
expect to pay a premium for the setup…and yes, there are several versions of the BG with mesh covering various openings.
Thanks Steven. So you're saying the Luverne mounts wont bolt up to the A2 winch bumper plate that I currently have without modification? Looking at the plate I have, the holes where the top of the Luverne bracket would mount through don't have any open space behind them to access a bolt or nut. The holes are there, but they are right up against the frame ends behind them. Assuming that's where the fab work comes in to get it to work on anything but the M993 or standard bumper plate?

Hummer Guy

You think the Luverne is a more sturdy bumper than the IBIS Tek bumper? I'm on the verge with these two, the only thing is the IBIS Tek a lot more expensive and rare.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ibistek is a bumper system, not a brush guard. It WILL provide better protection down lower and in the center, but not at the outer edges of the hood.

You don't lose towbar capability with the luverne using the correct brackets. See link below, upper set of holes are for brush guard, lower are for D-ring and towbar attachment. If anything it looks like it might be stronger with a towbar as it's solid machines steel instead of cast.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the frame extensions needed for the proper Luverne install.....
You already have the plate.
2nd pic is Luverne winch and non-winch mounts.
I had a shop make spacers so a NON-winch mount will work on a winch plate with no mods needed.

Attachments

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ibistek is a bumper system, not a brush guard. It WILL provide better protection down lower and in the center, but not at the outer edges of the hood.

You don't lose towbar capability with the luverne using the correct brackets. See link below, upper set of holes are for brush guard, lower are for D-ring and towbar attachment. If anything it looks like it might be stronger with a towbar as it's solid machines steel instead of cast.
Thats me...

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a few sets of these plates made up to allow a Luverne guard to be installed on winch plate using
Non-winch mounts.
No drilling needed.....uses existing bolt holes.
Winch plate has to have frame extensions.j

Attachments

kungflu72

I like the look and functionality of the Ibis Tek bumpers. I have to agree with your pricing on them. Around 3K is what I'm seeing them go for. I plan on fabbing up a copy of the Ibis Tek myself. I won't use aluminum like they built them out of. Maybe 1/8" mild steel. I estimate 3-400 bucks in material if I make it myself. Now if you add my time in to it, it will end up being a 6K bumper! I'm no professional welder. I am more than likely going to screw it up, re-do it several times.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that the rear air lift bumper used with the luverne bumper?
No that is 100% custom build, the rear bumper is 2X8" my front bumper is 2X6" I had my metal guy break the "U" the steel for the uprights (1/4") , I just built it to match the rear air lift bumper, I also modified a rear winch mount for the 12K front hydraulic winch. all the through holes in the bumper are bushed and welded similar to the rear bumper.
After.jpg
5.jpg
The luverne brush guard is not nearly as stout as this one.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks