M114

Jeepsinker

You can also use the transference method by laying a large piece of 1/4" or 3/8" steel plate over the damaged area and heat it with a large propane torch such as a roofing torch or weed burner. The steel will be unaffected by any of this but will transfer and hold heat to the aluminum while also shielding it from any carbon intrusion. And it gives you more time to work the aluminum between heating cycles.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you use a torch to straighten the bend in he hull, note that you should use hydrogen and oxygen. When using acetylene on aluminum, the aluminum absorbs carbon from the acetylene burn at an accelerated rate, which makes it very brittle and prone to cracking without very much flexing. Hydrogen burns clean, and actually is used in this fashion to torch weld aluminum joints.This probably isn't critical to your application, but if the hull does crack there because of that the only fix is to cut the section of hull out and replace it. Don't let the hydrogen scare you.
Interesting! Any thoughts on using propane? I've used propane for my cutting torches all my life. Propane requires different tips but burn exceptionally clean.

microjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the 114, looking forward to pictures and thread. How big of section and how thick is the plate your working on? at the shop if we have something big and thick we will put the 350,000 btu heater on it for a couple of hrs, helps heat a large area to help keep the heat from dissipating so quickly2cents

Jeepsinker

Kenny, you can use propane like I mentioned above. It is inadvisable to put direct flame from anything but hydrogen directly onto the surface of the aluminum. Even propane has much more soot and carbon than hydrogen.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I've gone some research. I need to find out the specific alloy. But around 600F is all that's needed to anneal aluminum. So my thoughts are to heat it up enough to allow it to be bent/pounded back straight after it slowly cools. There's a split that needs to be welded as well. Weld it up, grind it down. Then I'll heat it up to 900F and quench it. This should re-harden it back. But then again, I don't plan on getting shot at, so maybe it's overkill.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like I've sourced enough track to replace the right hand side as well.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patracy I commend you for your efforts and I stuck by Doc in his starry-eyed M114 vision...but as for me...I'm gonna wait til Uncle Sam finds that stash of M114's they have hidden under that mountain in crates and buy one of them for 50 bucks or so.:naner:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, I'm going to farm out the welding. I have zero problem welding steel. I'm sure I could even muster this weld job as well. But I'm not setup for it. I have a friend that has more welding certifications than I have fingers. (He welds for Nuclear Reactor plants) He actually stopped by yesterday afternoon to check it out. But knowing the alloy now helps a lot!

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 114 that I watched at Findley(Toledo OH police dept) was flat out getting it on with a 283. I think any small block GM V8 would be a good fit for the M114.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could easily drop a 350 in it and a TH400. It'd run good too. I just like diesels. I think a 6.5 turbo diesel would scoot it around just as well. And make up for the shortcoming a TH400 would have since it's only a 3 speed. (The factory power pack used a 4 speed transmission. Still 1:1 in 4th gear. But first gear was 4.06:1) I did have an evil thought just now. I'd even put a C turbo on it!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a phone call just now. Will be making a trip over to Rockmart to pick up more parts tomorrow! (Periscopes, intercom stuff, exc.)

Also have a line on a 6.2 engine.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whatever you do, since it's a resto mod, it needs an alarm with remote start. Imagine climbing out at the rally and hearing "Chirp, Chirp, Chirp"

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whatever you do, since it's a resto mod, it needs an alarm with remote start. Imagine climbing out at the rally and hearing "Chirp, Chirp, Chirp"
Do they still have the talking car alarms? "Please step away from the vehicle"

B3.3T

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could easily drop a 350 in it and a TH400. It'd run good too. I just like diesels. I think a 6.5 turbo diesel would scoot it around just as well. And make up for the shortcoming a TH400 would have since it's only a 3 speed. (The factory power pack used a 4 speed transmission. Still 1:1 in 4th gear. But first gear was 4.06:1) I did have an evil thought just now. I'd even put a C turbo on it!
Don't get carried away with the idea of high performance. Those tracks are not that durable, and losing one at speed is catastrophic. People get killed that way.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't get carried away with the idea of high performance. Those tracks are not that durable, and losing one at speed is catastrophic. People get killed that way.
Yeah I agree and understand. From what I've thought about it, the 6.2 or 6.5 seems like the way I'm going to go. Even then we're only talking 180-200hp tops. Which is only slightly more than the stock engine. The safety factor is another reason why I want it diesel powered. (After seeing how "slow" I am getting in and out of it. I'd hate to be in a fire inside of it.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks