M114

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

patracy

Administrator
Going tomorrow to scout out a few possible engines. Hopefully my friend Will can start repairing the hatch for me as well. Went ahead and removed it tonight. Man, for it to be aluminum alloy, IT SURE IS HEAVY!

IMAG4082.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Dropped off the hatch this morning. Then ran over to TWright's to look at a couple engines. Looks like I've got a few candidates.

Headed back home and spent the afternoon working on the body. The driver's side wasn't terrible, but there were a few "patches" that needed to be redone. I sanded that side, then went back with filler, then sanded it back again. Coated it in etching primer.

IMAG4084.jpg
IMAG4085.jpg
IMAG4087.jpg

The passenger side however, whew, there's a lot of work to be done there. After several hours with a flap wheel, I'm ready for a coat of filler for the shrapnel damage. I also talked with my friend with the waterjet. I've decided that I'll just make the front engine armor and rear hatch from AR400 3/8" steel.

IMAG4089.jpg

I also got started on the tail of it as well flapping down the rough spots there. Front driver's side is sanded and primed as well. Since I have a lot of damage at the driver's hatch and stuff to work on with the cupola, the top will be the last section I get ready for paint. I'm thinking I'll order the steel I need for the front and rear sections next week as well. I can cut the front hatch here and get it built. But the rear, I'm going to get waterjetted to keep it nice and round.

mkcoen

Wow that was fast work. Kind of wish I had larger, flat sections on the new Goat and not all those indentations to sand around. I'm actually thinking about a sand blaster attachment for the pressure washer but a little fearful of blowing a whole through those thinner panels.

Jeepsinker

You would blow through the thin skin on the goat with the pressure washer attachment. To blast aluminum you should either use soda blasting or low pressure glass bead blasting. The glass bead is also great for smoothing out rough areas if you are careful.

Another Ahab

Wow that was fast work. Kind of wish I had larger, flat sections on the new Goat and not all those indentations to sand around. I'm actually thinking about a sand blaster attachment for the pressure washer but a little fearful of blowing a whole through those thinner panels.
No kidding, patracy.

You get a LOT done in a day.

clock.jpg

patracy

Administrator
My main problem is finding time to work on things. But when I do, I do a lot. :)

It's been sleeting on and off today and too cold to work with the body filler. But I did get a porta power dropped off. I know I won't get any more time to work on it until Thursday and Friday. So we'll see what happens then.

I also need to call Tony to see if the engine is available. I've got things lined up for steel to make my own hatches. I'm going to make a front armor section and rear hatch from 3/8 AR500 steel. It'll add to the weight a bit, but it will still offer some real armor. The engine cover, I'm probably just going to hand fab that from mild steel. I also need to PM a few people for some other parts as well to see where they stand. Oh and I've called another place that has some 114 stuff checking to see if they have the hydraulic pump. I did crawl into the 114 today and used a tape measure a bit. The fuel bladder is in ribbons and useless. I've seen where wgtactical opened up the section left of the driver to allow for a fuel cell to be swapped in. I happen to have a marine fuel tank that will fit perfectly in that area. It will reduce my range to probably around 75 miles. But honestly, I don't see me driving for more than 75 miles anywhere in it!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
On a side note...glassk (I think) dropped off a couple of those seats he told you about. I haven't actually seen them because Troy is painting a new rollback I just bought and I'm not allowed in the shop...because...I like to touch stuff...like fresh red and white paint.:roll:

glassk

On a side note...glassk (I think) dropped off a couple of those seats he told you about. I haven't actually seen them because Troy is painting a new rollback I just bought and I'm not allowed in the shop...because...I like to touch stuff...like fresh red and white paint.:roll:
Two of each, the leaves on the mounts are no extra charge,...

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Not much update today. But I did make a little headway. I've figured out how I'm going to get the transmission from Warthog when his schedule allows. Also I talked with Tony about an engine today. Hopefully that'll be ready for pick up in a week or two. Turbo is inbound as well. My source for the waterjetting got good news, his Daughter is coming home from the hospital, so that will free things up a little for me. I'll probably try to order some AR500 steel next week for it. I'm hopeful that wgtactical will be back home next week as well. At least then I can get a hyd pump part number and start sourcing that. As weather allows, I'm going to try to get the outsides fixed up and it painted. Then I'm going to just rip out all the wiring and junk and start clean slate inside as well. I'm pretty sure I'll never find a OE harness for it. And since I'm going to change things, I probably will just wire things on my own. Or figure out a vehicle lighting harness I can use. Since the only real wiring outside of that would be power to the IP, alternator wiring, GP setup, slave port, starter, then internal lighting/gauges/controls.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Maybe you can get an engine/under hood wiring harness from a CUCV to make that part work. The light setup should be fairly easy to fab.

patracy

Administrator
I probably could rob the harness from this CUCV I'm getting an engine from. But.... no thanks. I already deal with enough gremlins with my CUCV. I'm going to just setup everything as a 24v system and either setup a voltage converter for the IP, or just find a HMMWV solenoid for the IP.

FMJ

In Memorial
I probably could rob the harness from this CUCV I'm getting an engine from. But.... no thanks. I already deal with enough gremlins with my CUCV. I'm going to just setup everything as a 24v system and either setup a voltage converter for the IP, or just find a HMMWV solenoid for the IP.[/QUOT

I think I have a HMMWV solenoid. . .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Why not start with one of those super cheap 6001 deuce harnesses .
Here is the NSN.
2590-00-076-6001

I have one that I keep to cannibalize.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

My source for the waterjetting got good news, his Daughter is coming home from the hospital, so that will free things up a little for me. I'll probably try to order some AR500 steel next week for it. I'm hopeful that wgtactical will be back home next week as well. At least then I can get a hyd pump part number and start sourcing that.
What is AR500 Steel; that "AR" mean armored/ ballistic?

m16ty

While not really armor plate, AR500 is a high strength steel. It's mainly used in industrial and construction settings where high strength and abrasion resistance is needed.