• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 build thread

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all!
I'm going to start this thread now,might be some slow going at first but I promise the end result will be worth it!
I'm going to say sorry to all the purists now! This is going to be a build I want to do.
For the most part the whole truck will be as delivered. Except for the drivetrain!
I'm going to install a detroit 6v-53N and an eaton 10 speed into her!
I just picked up the engine yesterday and will be including the tear down, rebuild and modifications to this engine in this thread also. I'm also going to add a heater/ac unit, power steering and some 395/85-20 xzl's. Here are a few pics to start with!

Thanks for looking talk soon!

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

gentrysgarage

Can't wait....

Well I'm not quite the purist, so I am watching! In case you don't know Eaton has everything from parts to service manuals online....a real bonus to a great trans!

snowyrivers

The little 2 stroke Jimmy diesel should be a sweet power plant.

Good luck on the journey.

These old war horses give you a lot of potential when it comes to doing your own thing for sure

My one suggestion is, IF you have the ability to get the cab off the frame and out of the way, DO SO.

Make some good measurements of cab location and such related to the frame and this will let you get at everything easily.

We learned real quick that trying to crawl around the cab is real tough.

HAVE FUN

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to enjoy this build!
It's been 5 years since I built something for me! I've been building for everyone else!
I'm gonna see if I can stuff a turbo under the hood!!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a military 6v-53 off a winch. We have installed larger injectors and ground the valves. It really has "snap" when you hit the throttle. It has a Twin Disc conversion Allison on it that has two reverse speeds but no lock-up convertor. We have considered putting it in a tractor or one of our military trucks but too many other things going on right now. With no lock-up the trans heat build-up might need to be compensated for with a large cooler. I think you will like the engine! There seems to be both extremes out there about Detroit 2 cycle engines; love them or hate them! We love them. Most of the low power complaints come from engines with the racks out of adjustment. There are also a lot of complaints about oil leaks but when assembled properly there is no problem. Low RPM torque is great!
We also have an 8v-92 non-turbocharged with all of the upgrades installed in it. When I saw it at the local scrap yard with frame parts still attached to it I knew where it came from. The local landfill had a Terex compactor they had rebuilt the motor for then after only a few hours the differentials went out of it so they scrapped the machine. I figured $500 was not too bad a deal since I knew the motor! We have put larger injectors in it also. We are now looking for a home for it.
We also have an 8v-71 non-turbo that was rebuilt by a training class in a prison not far from here. It also runs great, another $500.
Good thing I have a son who loves to do these things; I may find myself running out of years before I get a chance to share all of our dreams!
Regards Martin

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's great! Better to build it to your dreams and enjoy driving it, rather than seeing it rot away in a field somewhere or get parted out/scrapped.

With that little Detroit, the best way to ensure long life with it once it's built is to run the proper type of oil: Detergent-type low-ash 40-weight in the summer (30-weight in the winter). Shell-Rotella offers a nice version, as well as most of the other major names. DO NOT run multi-grade oil in a 2-cycle Detroit!!

Congrats and please keep the photos coming! [thumbzup]

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I quickly popped the valve cover and got this

Nice and clean!! Looks like it's been rebuilt before but not sure. I'm going to anyways. I have a buddy who's got bigger injectors for it plus the turbo it will be way more then enough for the duece!
I love these engines just so angry
The guy who I bought it from asked what I planned on doing with it and he said why not a cummins I replied why not a detroit!
I'm going to drive the crap out of this old girl! What's the point if you don't. I'll haul wood, haul my tractors, go to MV shows!

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lol yup!!!
I love diesel period never mind how awesome these screamin 2 strokes are!!
I'm stoked. Now for a full reseal. Clean and paint.

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Who says harbor freight engine stands suck!!
I've also had a 6bt and a few others on this.
Now it's time to tear it down.

nattieleather

Interesting build. I'm wondering what you are going to use for the transfercase? Since you are putting a 10 speed transmission in I'm assuming your low range will be the lower gears?

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I figure it's time for a small update.
I started pulling apart the engine for a full reseal and inspection. Found some issues from a previous failure it seems. Might do a cylinder/sleeve kit while I'm here. Needs at least two new injectors. I will buy all new.
20161231_161753.jpg
20161231_161802.jpg
20161231_161811.jpg
20161231_161819.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks