• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 starter question

Krempely

Simpson 5M9
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HELP!

Anyone know of a parts kit or the part number for the starter used on M135/M211 G749 series trucks? I have a '53 M135 and the starter turns over fine (spins fast) but does not engage the engine every time or not long enough before it disengages.

Stan Leschert

Try Alfa Heaven. The should have NOS for that.

If not, I know of a 135 that is being parted out in Vernon B.C.

the other alternative is to have the unit rebuilt.

PM me if required, and I'll try to lookup the ad for the donor truck.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just take it apart and see what the problem is. Its just a standard starter, that has a couple of O-rings on the ends, to try to keep it dry. Just sounds like the bendix is gummed up, maybe the spring broke, or something simple.... Your local Auto/electric, should be able to handle it fine. Often they need a good cleaning, new brushes, comutater cleaned up, maybe the mica undercut. You can do all that. Maybe put new bushings in it too. I was going to say, maybe $25, but today, say $50. The problem is mechanical, not electric.

* With that in mind, make sure the mechanical linkage on the shifter tower is adjusted properly. As I recall, you have to push the contact button (with the linkage), at the same time it makes contact with the switch.... Might not be anything wrong with it - just linkage - try really pulling hard on that starter lever!

Lee in Alaska

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lee is right, I had to pull really hard on the starter lever on mine. Linkage checks is a good suggestion also.

Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks