• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151 A2 broken lifter...Help

Grits

I've got a broken lifter.....it's the second lifter back from the front.
I think it's the intake lifter for the #1 cylinder...I can pull it out (up) from the side plate.
Is there a way to fix this without removing the engine?
Seems like the maybe the rod could be lengthened......or something....

Any help here ??

rickf

They are solid lifters, how exactly is it broken? You can't lengthen the push rod, if the lifter broke in a way that you feel the push rod needs to be longer then the cam is probably wiped out.

poppop

Rick is probably right Andy. If the cam lobe is wiped which means worn down then it won'r raise the lifter enough to open the valve. If you can turn the engine and see if that lifter rises as much as the others. If not then the cam is bad. If so and if you want I have a parts engine we can check the cam in and see if its OK.

Grits

Rick is probably right Andy. If the cam lobe is wiped which means worn down then it won'r raise the lifter enough to open the valve. If you can turn the engine and see if that lifter rises as much as the others. If not then the cam is bad. If so and if you want I have a parts engine we can check the cam in and see if its OK.
....Thanks Pop,
I may have to take you up on that......
My mechanic says the cam is lifting but the bottom "lobe" is broken off.....making the lifter to short by about 1/4 inch.
I'd like to find a good close up photo of the lifter.

/thanks for all the help All...

Grits

It would be better just to pull the engine and check it out. It will pay off in the long run.
I may have to have that done.....I can't do it myself, so I hate to spend the big bucks on something I drive so little......
If I could do it myself, it would already be in progress....

davidhdale

hey man let me know when you want to do it one week end i will come down and help just let me know and it would help to let me know of a local hotel for the weekend close to you so i will know where to grab a room just give me a call 980-521-8704 or shoot me a pm

Grits

hey man let me know when you want to do it one week end i will come down and help just let me know and it would help to let me know of a local hotel for the weekend close to you so i will know where to grab a room just give me a call 980-521-8704 or shoot me a pm
Hey, that sounds like a deal I can't refuse! If we word this out, I'll take care of all your room and board ...and maybe booze.....
Thanks,
Andy

rickf

If the mechanic is saying a "lobe" broke off he would probably be referring to the cam. A lifter is a solid chunk of steel and if it broke there would be collateral damage. The side of the block would be broken! If the cam is wiped out I would suspect it was not getting oil so there are going to be a lot of other issues that need to be checked. First thing to check is the rod and main bearings. If they were not getting oil you will know it and at that point it would be cheaper to get another take out engine. The reason I say that is because you will have to turn the crank, get a new cam, all new bearings for crank, rods and cam. New oil pump, which is probably what caused the problem. New rocker arms and shaft. New head or valve guides. Head would be cheaper. Might as well put rings in at this point. Pistons probably are alright. Complete gasket set.

davidhdale

yes sir i know that but you can not be sure to you remove and check i have been repair cars and semis for over 15 years. i will pull it and inspect it you can have good oil pressure and have a bad cam metal on metal does wear out. if he wants it pulled

Grits

yes sir i know that but you can not be sure to you remove and check i have been repair cars and semis for over 15 years. i will pull it and inspect it you can have good oil pressure and have a bad cam metal on metal does wear out. if he wants it pulled
DHD Check your phone messages and you PMs.....Andy

rickf

I fully agree with the check first, I just said "IF" it is worn it is probably a lack of oil. I have never seen a M-151 cam wear out a lobe. That was a 70's Chevy deal. And BTW, I have been a master auto and diesel tech for 38 years. :cool: Been there, Done that and seen it all BUT, will never know it all.:grin::grin:

davidhdale

no sir no one does i was going to pull oil pressure before it was removed then pull the pan and rods to check to be sure just trying to help someone out a little sounds like he does not want to spend a lot would hate not to see him fix it and not get to drive it the old green needs to be shown did not mean to step on toes right

rickf

No foul, don't worry. I just didn't want to see anyone spend thousands on an engine doing a total rebuild when you can get perfectly good used engines for 300.00. I think it is great you are willing to go and help him. I do that up here in my neck of the woods when I can.

davidhdale

yea hes more than likely will need one by the time you get a cam and lifters gaskets and might as well do the timing while you are in it i would love to have one i can only dream of one to rich for my small pocket book,but would love to save one from setting

Grits

Thanks to both of you !
I just spent Wednesday 'til Sunday at the Durhamtown Ralley...and quickly knew that it would be next to impossible to find a better group of people....
.....Both knowledgeable and eager to help each other....

I really appreciate the help!!

Andy

davidhdale

hey Andy give me a call some time sat i should be back home by then . my sprint does not have a service here where im unloading you have to love sprint. we will get you taking care of. may want to thank about if you could find a good motor for 300 or a little more that might be your cheapest route unless you can find some one with a donor. by the time you buy a gasket kit and cam set

Grits

This is embarrassing ....

The recent discussion about lack of oil prompted me to look into my records on the jeep....

First, I've owned this jeep since early 90's.....all of this time I've had minor problems with the fuel flow from rust in the tank.
I kept thinking it was minor and could be cleared up with filters, etc.
As a result, each time I drove it, I had some problem and barely made it back home...
.....and because of my frustration, I've driven this jeep VERY LITTLE IN NEARLY 20 years!!
That leads me to the realization that I've NEVER changed the oil !!.....Never even thought about it.
This is a late emissions model that I got straight from the base before it was to be destroyed...
It is totally original and not restored.....everything works, right down to the blackout lights and windshield washers.
When I got it, it had about 6900 miles total with the original speedometer still in....
In Sept 2003 it had 9823miles....as of Mar 2009 10,371....today stlll 10,???....
.....And no oil change yet!
Even though I own this Jeep.....I apologize to all for mistreating what may be one of the nicest M151s left...
I hope that with help, I'll have it at the Durhamtown Rally next year....and drive it there!
....Andy

Grits

hey Andy give me a call some time sat i should be back home by then . my sprint does not have a service here where im unloading you have to love sprint. we will get you taking care of. may want to thank about if you could find a good motor for 300 or a little more that might be your cheapest route unless you can find some one with a donor. by the time you buy a gasket kit and cam set
Will do, look forward to talking with you Saturday...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks