M151 Body Panels

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
This was my Friday night. This is the A1 version of the front driver side fender. I added the holes for the blackout light, hood latch and wire loom. Made some additional weld fixtures to help fit up and minimize heat distortion.

The corner fill piece is pretty much cut to size. I removed about 1/16" of material for fit up.

TIG Weld:

and done:

The model file for the turn signal boss tooling was done today. Then it will be milled and we'll see how it works. For those that are wondering why such a big cut out under the turn signal mount, that matches the original. Once the tooling is made we'll stamp the turn signal mounts and spot weld complete.

Guy
http://www.m151bodypanels.com

Last edited:

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
[SUB]First welded set. You would think that the bolt hole for the turn signal wire clamp would be in the same location on the fenders. They are not. Maybe two different engineers worked on it? [/SUB]

Guy

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Part update: We have the first batch of M151-A1 front fenders on order in the shop at this time. We are making (15) of each. Parts should be available early January and will be $165 each. Turn signal mount tooling is being modified at this time.

Guy

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
The turn signal mount tooling is now modified. Have to now shift the hole in the mount itself and we'll try running another test. Also started working on the rear fender top supports. This part has a short flange around the ob-round cut outs. This is a new tool for us and we're are having some issues getting it to run through the program. Will have to call the manufacturer and get some pointers. I think this tool will also work for the axe head bracket on the side panel. Nice having a tooling credit...

Guy

http://www.m151bodypanels.com

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Started working on the A1 rear fender supports. Here is a sample of a new flare tool that we run on our Amada C1 Laser. This is another progressive tool that is capable of forming in a radius.

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Made some more progress with the A1 fender support. Need to make some tooling for the top flange where the rear fender top stiffener beads line up.

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Flange that the fender top sits on. Made a "Stack Die" for this - laser the profile out of 1/2" steel and stack them up and weld together for the proper width of part to be formed. In this case, around 3.5" for the A2 version. Cheaper way of making tooling compared to machining.

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Fixtures are done for the fender supports and we'll weld some up next week. Also starting on the tail light buckets. Tried a couple of rib tools but need more clearance for the tail light wires. We're working on it.

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
I've had a couple of people interested in how we make some of these parts. I'll post some pictures of some of the tooling, etc. I posted this video on here a while ago but I'll post it again. Not the best quality but you get the picture. This is an Amada C1 Laser combo machine - has a turret. This is one of three lasers that we have but the other two machines do not have turrets. We make all of our body panels on this machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C1amAOnBy4

Guy

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Had a request for one of these and this is one of the first parts. Don't think there will be much demand for this but we will have them if you need them. We had to tab in the part for the tooling to form the outside rib. I'll do the finish work and post some pictures.

Guy

www.m151bodypanels.com

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Welded up one of the A1 rear fender supports today and it's a keeper. Dimensions look good and I test fit it into the rear fender top. The necessary clearance looks good on the width for the inner fender and outer skin. We'll work on the A1 passenger side next. I'm being told that the straight 151 fender supports match the driver side A1 with the passenger side of the 151 being mirror image. A2 versions to follow.

Also finished the 4WD / E-brake cover:

Guy
www.m151bodypanels.com

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
I've had a couple of people ask about the M151 version of the front fender tops. I've modified the A1 drawings to create the 151 style. With current shop work load I'm thinking we'll have them around the end of the month. Making a batch of 9 sets as I think the demand will be a little less compared to the A1's. Price will be the same as the A1's - $165 each. We also have a test set of A2 rear fender supports being built.

Guy

www.m151bodypanels.com

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
First set of M151A2 rear fender supports are now welded up and will be sent out for test fitting as I do not have an A2. The straight M151 front fender tops are now at our weld department. I'll get some pictures up this week.

Guy

www.m151bodypanels.com

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Tool Box dividers are now on order in the shop. Making 20 pcs, should be available for the Sussex show. $50 each, includes the (2) brackets where it mounts to the side panel.

Guy

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Working on the A2 version of the rear panel. Some of you on here will recognize the sample parts. There are several little differences between the A2 and A1. I'm using the A1 drawing as the base line and creating the A2 drawing. We've talked about the variation between different bodies before - the side flange dimension on the two sample A2 parts have about a .200" difference between the two! When you try to keep dimensions within .020" this drives you nuts!

Guy

www.m151bodypanels.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks