• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m151 transfercase output leak

ODdave

so i have searched and not found anything about this. there is curently a '66 m151 in the shop where i work and both front and rear transfercase outputs are leaking. i asumed it was just the seal but upon further inspection, both shafts had a considerable amount of movement up, down and side to side. i think there is a bushing inside that is worn out. is this true and if so is it dificult to replace? thanks.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey ODdave ,popacom /Bill here. I would look real close to see if the seal and the yokes match.
most of the seal kits out there are what we in KY refer to as "Johnny Sleeve" type. If you aren't
familiar with these they have a wear sleeve that must be driven on the yoke seal surface and the seal is undersized to allow for the added diameter that the sleeve adds. The problem comes in when some one just throws the new seal in and "CHUCKS" the wear sleeve as one of those EXTRA
parts that you don't really need! Not saying that's the problem in your case ,but I have seen it
more than once on M-151's I have worked on. It's been to long since I have had an M-151 trans/transfer apart to remember whether there are bushings in there or not,but keep what I am telling you in mind as a possibility. Thanks for your time.

popacom /Bill Kagin III in Ky. :mrgreen:

ODdave

awsome, thanks for the help. my only ? is should there be any play in the yokes? i havent tore it apart yet but it feels like a pinon yoke that the nut came loose on. is this normal?

cstaup

once you have the driveshafts disconnected, the yoke simply pulls off. Possibility that you transfer case is worn, that willl cause some play, but as stated before the lack of sleeves will result in a sloppy fitting.

3d63

I agree it may be the sleeves but if not .I have found that if the transfer case is worn so is the transmission and the cost of a good take out is less money and aggravation than fixing the bad one .I have several contacts for good used parts if needed pm me and I will forward u them Good luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks