• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Rockwell Axle Cutaway Training Aid pics

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All:

Melanie Carter at Memphis Equipment was very kind in sending me a few smartphone snapshots of a training aid they own.

Hope some people find these interesting (I did!):

Training aid 001_edit.jpg Training aid 002_edit.jpg Training aid 003_edit.jpg Training aid 004_edit.jpg

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking into these axles more closely because I have a bearing noise (mild humming rattle) which started about a year-and-a-half ago; the common drivetrain failure seems to be the input shaft of the transfer case, but I rolled the shaft by hand and it was really smooth. Then I drove the truck down the highway and the noise is tied with road speed, not engine speed, so I placed the t-case in neutral and the sound was still there but a bit quieter. The sound also seems to have gotten worse after running the truck with the front axle engaged while driving dirt trails, and there is a distinct odor of gear oil... So I'm thinking front axle problems.

When I went to change the front axle oil after I got the truck, dark grey/silver, foamy crap poured out. Turned out that someone had packed the knuckles with moly grease, the grease had oozed into the diff via a loose inner seal, and contaminated the oil really badly.

I have already cleaned and re-packed both knuckles and also cleaned out the axle tubes as far in as I can reach, and also drained the diff oil twice. I'm planning to change it again this week before a 330 mile convoy coming up in two Saturdays, and crossing my fingers until I can dig into my diff gears. I plan to drop the front driveshaft and see if that makes a difference with the noise.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Anyone know how the ring and pinion get their lube? I thought it just splashed around in there, but it would have to make its way through a small or-face to do so. Is that top section supposed to have its own G.O.? I have trashed 2 ring and pinions with both having the same issue(pinion slop from bearings going bad, I think). I'd like to keep the third one in good shape if possible, I'll only have one more spare!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly Mike. Both are double reduction, just different sizes. A few differences but not many.

welldigger

Anyone know how the ring and pinion get their lube? I thought it just splashed around in there, but it would have to make its way through a small or-face to do so. Is that top section supposed to have its own G.O.? I have trashed 2 ring and pinions with both having the same issue(pinion slop from bearings going bad, I think). I'd like to keep the third one in good shape if possible, I'll only have one more spare!
I would think Steve6x6x6 could answer your question.

I would like to know myself honestly.

welldigger

I'm looking into these axles more closely because I have a bearing noise (mild humming rattle) which started about a year-and-a-half ago; the common drivetrain failure seems to be the input shaft of the transfer case, but I rolled the shaft by hand and it was really smooth. Then I drove the truck down the highway and the noise is tied with road speed, not engine speed, so I placed the t-case in neutral and the sound was still there but a bit quieter. The sound also seems to have gotten worse after running the truck with the front axle engaged while driving dirt trails, and there is a distinct odor of gear oil... So I'm thinking front axle problems.

When I went to change the front axle oil after I got the truck, dark grey/silver, foamy crap poured out. Turned out that someone had packed the knuckles with moly grease, the grease had oozed into the diff via a loose inner seal, and contaminated the oil really badly.

I have already cleaned and re-packed both knuckles and also cleaned out the axle tubes as far in as I can reach, and also drained the diff oil twice. I'm planning to change it again this week before a 330 mile convoy coming up in two Saturdays, and crossing my fingers until I can dig into my diff gears. I plan to drop the front driveshaft and see if that makes a difference with the noise.
Pull the center caps on the front axle. That way nothing rotates except the wheels. Pulling the drive shaft will only stop the output of the transfer case from spinning.

gimpyrobb

I was thinking he would show up sooner or later. I have found conflicting info online. I took apart one of my old ones and didn't really see how lube would get there.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the center caps supported the ends of the drive shafts of the knuckle u-joints (stub shafts); no center cap would allow the stub shaft to whip around and maybe contribute to u-joint damage? I think I would need to bore out the splines on a pair of center caps (hubs) and allow the stub shafts to spin freely?

welldigger

I thought the center caps supported the ends of the drive shafts of the knuckle u-joints (stub shafts); no center cap would allow the stub shaft to whip around and maybe contribute to u-joint damage? I think I would need to bore out the splines on a pair of center caps (hubs) and allow the stub shafts to spin freely?
This is incorrect. The caps are what attach the axle shaft to the hub to drive the wheel. So if you remove the caps and the transfer case is disengaged then the axle shafts will not rotate. They won't whip around. It won't hurt anything.

Now if you were wanting to disengage the front axle for more than testing purposes you would need a set of desplined caps to keep dirt out of the bearings. Or even better a set of lock out hubs.

gimpyrobb

There isn't much play to let them bust the U-joints, pulling them and running up the street would help troubleshoot, but I wouldn't do it all month long.

welldigger

I was thinking he would show up sooner or later. I have found conflicting info online. I took apart one of my old ones and didn't really see how lube would get there.
I guess you could pull the side cover on the chunk and see if any oil is in there. There isn't a fill or drain port on the upper chunk.

Even if you were supposed to grease the bearings what lubes the ring and pinion?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks