• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 lost 2 & 3 gear !

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, And while driving upward on an incline I lost 2nd and 3rd gear. At home I took off the tranny top and inspected the forks and fork motions, they seem to operate ok. Dont recognize any damage looking at the gears from the top. Could it be that the fork jumped out ? Peter Mark

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Guys, And is there something I can recognize , some damage I will be able to see from the top? How can I confirm a bad synchro ?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sycros, are not your problem.

You need to look at all the gears, not just the ones of the top shaft.

DieselBob

I was thinking maybe the keys for the 2nd ~ 3rd s[FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]ynchronizer sleeve sheared so the sleeve just spins on the main shaft. Just a thought
[/FONT]

Attachments

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Bob, And this is what John temnis is yelling, I mean, telling me! I wonder If I can try to spin the synchronizer and observe ther shaft from ther top? Well I shall see about all this asap as I dont want to delay my trip too long. Pete

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you start out in second gear often?

You can put the trans top back on, shift it into second gear, then lift the top back off. Start the truck and let the clutch up. Then look to see if the gear is slipping on the shaft.

DieselBob

There is no reason you couldn't remove the top of the transmission and with the engine idling see if when the transmission is in second or third if the countershaft gears and mainshaft gears are turning. If they are than the keys would be the logical problem. Just be mindful that even at idle the gears will spin fairly fast and throw GO everywhere. All you really need to do is let the clutch out slowly and just enough so the gears just start to turn.

See DH beat me to it..

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank You, And I shall be watchfull when I do any of this...John Tennis has alrready given me a replacement tranny, so Im prepared for that option also. Pete

wb1895

That is exactly what happened to my deuce last year. I was driving and lost 2nd and 3rd gear. Just replace the main shaft and the gar that 2nd and 3rd ride on. George from White Owl has them and is a pleaser to work with.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank You, I probably will install the replacement tranny I have, and then rebuild the one at a later date. I have loaded all my trade and automotive tools onto the deuce ( i figure 8000 pounds or better )and im driving down to Ft. Lauderdale to live. Hope i make it . Pete

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can swap the rear section of the top shaft without removing the transmission.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW! I see I shall have to print out the tranny blue prints and read how to do this, and I hope I can. Thanks for the info. Is the correct TM on the forum selection? Pete

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tm 9-2520-246-34

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just reviewed the beginnings of TM-9-2520-246-34, and I am not ready for this level of work while the tranny is still installed. Maybe in the future on a well lit table top with no time restraints...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks