• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Transmission Swaps

Hummer Guy

I know this been talked about a lot, but I haven't seen that many actual swaps with the m35a2 trans other than the Alison AT545 and the same Spicer. Has anyone swapped any other transmission in the m35a2 with a longer overdrive? I was thinking about the NV4500 since its close to the same size of the 3053a, but it will need some modifications to handle the weight of the M35a2 since its only designed for 14,500 GWR. What other transmissions is there to fit? Preferably a manual but I'm open to hear what autos would fit as well. Also, if you swapped something different, what did you swap and what modifications did you have to do?

The main reason I'm looking into this is because I have 2 leaks coming from my spicer and I'm tired of the 1st to 2nd shift.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eaton FSO family would work. FS versions are abundant but the O overdrive versions are expensive and no easy to find. I searched for one for my c60 rollback. I did a Cummins swap. I never found one for a deal and I ended up using a 10 speed overdrive and got her in there.

Trango

When I put a 3208 in the deuce in my first swap, I put in a 6855 with (as I recall) a .69 OD. There are a few challenges with swaps in that platform:
- the tcase position means that any trans that goes in needs to be short or you move the transfer case back, which is tough because of systems like the ebrake etc.
- you run out of splits. 5 forward gears, even with a high revving engine, is limiting, especially on hills. You need to practically redline the engine only to almost lug it again when you upshift. This gets worse with a wider gear range. There is a reason most OTR/CMV trucks have at the very least 9 speeds and sometimes up to 18.
-BHSG, but that can be solved.

IMO, don't touch the trans until you swap the engine. Then, choose a better trans. My current build has a 13 speed - it's so great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks