• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Turbo Leaking?

Karp

Hello all, I have owned my duce for about six years. I recently let the tires hit the ground check the fluids and unfogged the engine, after a deployment and two years of painting. no it not completely finished but its close enough to drive. Except on my little test drive around the block I notice allot of excess smoke I didn't think to much since the engine was fogged. But on further inspection I discovered the Turbo was leaking oil into the exhaust and causing the smoke. I am thankful I didn't go farther than the block, or the news would have read "Hick truck burning down interstate in OKC, film at 11"

But seriously I don't know about turbos! I am starting to read the manuals tonight and I tried searching for the topic. I hope someone can shed light onto this subject for me. Thanks from Karp of Oklahoma City

Karp

Smile-Z-Have Fun,
Sgt Karp, USAF
1981 Chevy Luz "Rusty Smoke"
1982 M35A2 "82K187" (formally belong to the 607 ACS in Spangdahlem, Germany)

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
extended idling can allow oil past the seal. That can be considered acceptable , if not normal. You might have see leakage when sitting that will have little effect when running. Make sure the drain is clear (and the crankcase isn't full of fuel). The exhuast might take a hard pull to burn out everything... JimK

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Karp, You will need to run it some what hard for at least 10 miles. I know this sounds crazy but,it will work. It has a laybrinth seal in the turbine side. After heat and pressure builds it will start to seal back off. After a few miles you will see less and less smoke.
This usally happens on the compressor side also. This is very common on these engines. Espacillay if they sit and idle for long periods.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good advice Ken. Karp, RUN it hard, then see how it looks. Avoid extrerned idling, 3 min. MAX.

Karp

Ok I will check the fluids and run it around. I was just scared due to all the oil in the exhaust that it would ignite in the exhaust pipe and the thing would look like a breathing dragon down 35. I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks
I did notice the oil in the crankshaft is newer looking and the oil leaking out the turbo is black like I need a oil change?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's kind of normal to have a black looking slobber out the back side especially if all you have done is idle or no load operate it. It's black 'cause the soot in the exhaust makes it that way. It will most likely smoke and smell of oil when you start out and until it gets up to operating temp. Run it for a good 10 mile or so un interrupted drive. On the other hand, if you notice the smoke is getting worse as youi drive, you might have a problem. Keep an eye on it. Also, see these PS mag articles.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....l_exhaust&name=gallery&include=view_photo.php

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index...._oil_loss&name=gallery&include=view_photo.php

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks