• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 Water Pump Removal

Greetings! I have coolant flowing out of my weep hole below my water pump, behind the fan blade. I presume I’ll need to replace the water pump. Lost one of the two belts. Looks like it wrapped around the fan and kept it from spinning, then coolant was spraying everywhere. What TM covers water pump/fan removal? Any videos? I searched for hours trying to find something so I apologize if this is already covered somewhere. About to pull the water pump in a gas station parking lot and hoping that’s all that has to be fixed. Will run the radiator by a shop to be pressure tested while I have it out. Thanks all!

It took a while, but I figured it out. For anyone else looking for information, here are the steps I followed.

Brush Guard Removal
Remove 2 bolts toward middle of brush guard. Loosen 2 bolts securing bottom of brush guard (these don’t have to be completely removed). Pull top of brush guard toward you and lift up and out of bottom brackets.

Belt Removal
Loosen bolt securing alternator to bracket. Use a pry bar to push alternator toward engine, removing tension from belts. Using a flathead screwdriver, carefully work belts loose.

Radiator Removal
<edit> Important 1st step. Place a 5 gal bucket on the ground, under the front center of radiator. Open the petcock valve at the bottom of the radiator and remove the radiator cap (make sure it’s cool) to drain the coolant out of the radiator. Remove bolt at top center of radiator. Slide short arm to the side. Remove two nuts at bottom of radiator (ID correct bolts by finding bolts that have springs on them). Note these were pretty rusted and required PB Blaster and a breaker bar. Loosen clamp around top hose to radiator. Once radiator is loose, tilt top of radiator toward you. Now you can get access to 4 bolts securing heavy metal fan blade. Remove these bolts and remove the fan blade being careful not to damage the fins on the radiator. Once fan is out, lift radiator up to free bottom studs from housing. Now you can access the bottom radiator hose. Loosen clamp and remove radiator. You may need to break the hose seal with a flathead screwdriver.

Remove Water Pump
Now you are looking directly at the water pump which previously had the fan mounted to it. Remove the 6 bolts. Using a block of wood and 4 lb sledge hammer, tap around flange until it comes loose. Then carefully use a pry bar or large flat screwdriver to remove it. Be careful not to damage or dent the metal to where it won’t seal back.

Finish
Now you can install the new 5702725 water pump and gasket. I recommend a little RTV silicone sealant as well. Replace everything in the reverse order.C02FDE8D-31DB-49F3-B11A-5AF90173FCA5.jpeg98943A12-28A6-49C3-8393-30E8C21DBA71.jpegC981F41F-0D22-4E64-9859-ADF1389CCACC.jpegF7BE53CA-91F1-4AFA-89E8-831D224EA28D.jpegFE7A310E-95B9-45AF-9725-678794D2E5AE.jpeg3BFD58D6-5711-4BA7-82C2-FEB6DB65E578.jpegFA5DD29B-522B-4D11-98AE-1A3F22E3886F.jpegDF9302A8-23FF-4E23-8ADF-B235DD3CC1E7.jpeg6A6BCE6D-78E4-4B13-8577-2C2E68F18B24.jpeg

Last edited:
It took a while, but I figured it out. For anyone else looking for information, here are the steps I followed.

Brush Guard Removal
Remove 2 bolts toward middle of brush guard. Loosen 2 bolts securing bottom of brush guard (these don’t have to be completely removed). Pull top of brush guard toward you and lift up and out of bottom brackets.

Belt Removal
Loosen bolt securing alternator to bracket. Use a pry bar to push alternator toward engine, removing tension from belts. Using a flathead screwdriver, carefully work belts loose.

Radiator Removal
Remove bolt at top center of radiator. Slide short arm to the side. Remove two nuts at bottom of radiator (ID correct bolts by finding bolts that have springs on them). Note these were pretty rusted and required PB Blaster and a breaker bar. Loosen clamp around top hose to radiator. Once radiator is loose, tilt top of radiator toward you. Now you can get access to 4 bolts securing heavy metal fan blade. Remove these bolts and remove the fan blade being careful not to damage the fins on the radiator. Once fan is out, lift radiator up to free bottom studs from housing. Now you can access the bottom radiator hose. Loosen clamp and remove radiator. You may need to break the hose seal with a flathead screwdriver.

Remove Water Pump
Now you are looking directly at the water pump which previously had the fan mounted to it. Remove the 6 bolts. Using a block of wood and 4 lb sledge hammer, tap around flange until it comes loose. Then carefully use a pry bar or large flat screwdriver to remove it. Be careful not to damage or dent the metal to where it won’t seal back.

Finish
Now you can install the new 5702725 water pump and gasket. I recommend a little RTV silicone sealant as well. Replace everything in the reverse order.
I ordered a new water pump and radiator hoses (may as well replace hoses while it’s taken apart) from Boyce. Everyone at Boyce is super helpful and friendly and they definitely know their stuff. The removal process took me about four hours because I had no idea what I was doing. Now that I’ve done it once, I would bet it would be under two hours.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job on documenting your adventure, @appalachiantraildeuce
You said that you "don't know what you are doing". The military has a solution for that! For your waterpump job, grab the Technical Manual

Look on page 0082.......

1675222259519.png

Step by step instructions, with drawings!

1675222322710.png

"Getting to know the TM" is a pain in the butt (because they are all numbered) but once you figure out how they work, they are a super easy to use resource and help with doing those jobs!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks