• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 winching out a M818

Bobert

I figured I should post this up It was pretty impressive to watch. It was during a mud road rally in Iowa. The guy in the m818 bought it just for the event with plans to sell it afterwards. Worn out tires didn't help but it was still fun to watch. The deuce is my dad's and had no trouble and was a lot of fun.

It was running a little rough because the injector pump sprung a leak.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptNdh4hTzvo[/media]

HanksDeuce

Next time, hang something on the winch cable (about midway down) to protect all of those bystanders and vehicle occupants in case the cable snaps. It could be a heavy coat, a floormat, etc.

That guy in the M818 and your dad could get paid to make ditches alongside county roads. :D

Bobert

Next time, hang something on the winch cable (about midway down) to protect all of those bystanders and vehicle occupants in case the cable snaps. It could be a heavy coat, a floormat, etc.

That guy in the M818 and your dad could get paid to make ditches alongside county roads. :D
Yeah, this was actually the first time we used the winch with a load. Definitely need to get some safety gear.

The 818 got stuck in the ditch about 200' back and dug it out the whole way.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice vid. Myself I don't like useing the winch cable for a snatch line and I think if you would have had a snatch block on a tree on the right side of the road and pulled it fron the front would have come out a little easer. You got it out that all that matters and you did not break anything.:beer:

Danger Ranger

WOW! What a coincidence. I just met the M818 guy today, an hour or so ago actually. He had just gotten it up north here in iowa, in a city that starts with A...but I can't remember it. The truck is a bit rough, with lots of paint coats on it, but very doable. He is located here in Ames, and has a restoration shop outside of town. Seemed like a nice guy, and I told him to get on SS. He mentioned he is a troller and is getting lots of info on here. No pics were taken in the shop because we just looked in and saw him there. We were glad to be able to talk to him.

feets

if you would have had a snatch block on a tree on the right side of the road and pulled it fron the front would have come out a little easer.
If the guy in the 5 ton would have turned the front tires towards the ditch he would have been out just after the pull started.

When you're being drug backwards on loose ground you need to point the tires the direction you want the front of the rig to go.
What he did was force the front of the truck into the ditch. It's a common thought since that's how you'd steer if you were driving.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winch OR drive..

How do you decide to just use the winch or winch and drive it out at the same time?
It all depends on the combined experience of the two vehicle operators and or supervisor giving instructions from the ground...

So much damage can occur if the 'stuck vehicle' finds traction then drives over the winch rope, then you have a broken vehicle instead of just a dirty one.
"NEVER" should be the thought regarding driving (the winch truck) and winching at the same time - too much to look at, at once - the rope, the dead vehicle and where you are going in the mirrors and person controlling from safe distance, also traction will not be consistent so you will transfer shock loads to the winch mechanism.
"Almost never" power the 'stuck vehicle' while being winched, or winching (if self recovery) - for the reason above, infact, the stuck vehicle driver should "feather" the brakes to give consistency to the pull, to arrest rearward movement if winching stops - rope breaks, attatchment breaks or traction lost to winching vehicle. If there is not enough 'pull' then 'double up' with a snatch block, add more scotching, ground anchor or dead man etc.

"Snatch recovery" is not winching, it is an alternative method - dragging with a chain/rope/strap/towpole/towbar is appropriate if no winch is available - go slow unless Kinetic techniques are employed and the army only does this for armoured vehicles. A pintle upside the head hurts and can go through a 'soft skin' cab.

When the dead vehicle is significantly below the recovering vehicle - the shortest "chain" possible, keeping the recovering vehicle on solid ground is optimum - for 'weight transfer', unless winching - then you need room for the dead vehicle to get to solid ground.

Hope this helps.

Study the Misc TM's for recovery in this forum - they are based on many years of experience where safety is premium.
Just remember, unless someone is shooting at you or you are shooting a 'dumb a$$' movie, don't "Hollywood" it and err on the side of caution.

Last edited:

Bobert

WOW! What a coincidence. I just met the M818 guy today, an hour or so ago actually. He had just gotten it up north here in iowa, in a city that starts with A...but I can't remember it. The truck is a bit rough, with lots of paint coats on it, but very doable. He is located here in Ames, and has a restoration shop outside of town. Seemed like a nice guy, and I told him to get on SS. He mentioned he is a troller and is getting lots of info on here. No pics were taken in the shop because we just looked in and saw him there. We were glad to be able to talk to him.
Cool, I didn't talk to him much, I wonder if he is keeping it? I heard there was a "military deuce" at veisha, maybe that was him. It's funny how small it makes the little 2 1/2 ton look.

Danger Ranger

At Veisha there was an M35a2, an M1009 and an S250 shelter all owned by the same guy, I believe it was a Mr. Ryan Nelson...(I talked to him too....someone has to keep tabs on MVs in Ames...) He is from scott county, and was making dogtags in the shelter for a fundraiser possibly for the airsoft club. It was them who had the deuce in the parade and the M1009 was with the shelter all day, in front of the library. I should have gotten pics. auaauaaua

The M818 guy may have the truck for sale, as a buddy saw it out by the road with a sign, and then we went by later that afternoon, because he knows I am way into this stuff, and it was gone. We found him and the truck inside a sweet shop. I think he may be testing the market but who knows.

PS: If you are trolling on this thread, M818 guy, then you should make an account so we can here your side of the story....:jumpin::wink:

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

I wonder why the American trucks were not fitted with diff locks?...If that had been fitted so, it would have crawled out unasissted on tickover no fuss. Ah-Lah Kraz mog etc. praga etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks