• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 pics

oilcan

I know a bunch of folks hate 'em, but here are a few pics for the rest of you.

Prepping one for paint, and I haven't even driven it yet. (Oh, and noooo it's not mine!)

Attachments

DanMartin

Cool man! Can't wait to see it when it's all done.

Mechanically I think they are great trucks...superior in many critical ways to the A2s. However, the CTIS and that hood/headlight arrangement just doesn't work for me.

I would *love* to get that auto tranny from an A3 in an A2 behind a multifuel...all done up stock-like.

My '88 shares a lot with the A3s...same bed with the integral hold-downs, and the split braking system are the same. I just wish I had power steering! :)

oilcan

In my experience, a rubber mat will hold moisture on the floor and rust it out. Bad juju in my book. Of course, it might cut down on some of the noise.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still don't fully understand what changes were made to the A3 hood/cowl.
Besides having a bigger radiator and higher grille causing that odd appearance with that sky-searching nose it looks as if the hood was also cut along the centerline and widened a few inches. (riveted patch with star...) Now I wonder how they did that without also having to modify the cowl. Except that that patch is triangular shaped spreading both hood halves up towards the front, but than the rear edge......?????

Oilcan, would you mind taking a few more detail shots, maybe one standing on the bumper and looking down onto the hood center and hinge area???

TIA,
Gerhard

rhinomike

Back to the rubber mat, why not have it rhino lined? in O.D. green. it will never rust or wear out.
easy job, could be done in 1 day.

ida34

gringeltaube said:
I still don't fully understand what changes were made to the A3 hood/cowl.
Besides having a bigger radiator and higher grille causing that odd appearance with that sky-searching nose it looks as if the hood was also cut along the centerline and widened a few inches. (riveted patch with star...) Now I wonder how they did that without also having to modify the cowl. Except that that patch is triangular shaped spreading both hood halves up towards the front, but than the rear edge......?????

Oilcan, would you mind taking a few more detail shots, maybe one standing on the bumper and looking down onto the hood center and hinge area???

TIA,
Gerhard
I am pretty sure the side panels are moved out to make room for the wider radiator support. I am not sure if it is angled back or if how it connects at the rear. Hopefully oilcan can give some pics.

oilcan

Me too. If the prices were to become a little more reasonable, I'd seriously consider picking one up. How soon do you think that's gonna happen?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, good pics! Thanks oilcan, now I know what to do (and what was done) to install a larger radiator...

Took me a little work I got that hood leveled!!! That way they would grow on me too! :)

G.

Edit: Ran short of space for file comment so here the rest:

Both (hood) halves are held in place via riveted 6" wide reinforcement stripes.
Side panels on fenders moved outward 2".

Note: dimensions are estimated, based only on pics. It would be great if this could be measured and confirmed some day...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks