• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35m3 - can cab be lifted to change goofy look of backward sloped hood?

466Navastar

Ive been looking at these m35a3 trucks that come up at GL and just cant warm up to that goofy hood that slopes backwards towards the cab.....reminds me of the old Ford pickups I had - that used to bend the frames

Question: has anyone ever tried to make them look more "normal" - by lifting up the cab enough to have the hood slope - AWAY from the cab- or at least level as you go forward ?.....new hood side panels seem like an easily made fix....and would look so much nicer

can anyone comment on how complicated the steering ,foot controls and anything else experience tells you would need modification - if the cab was lifted up - as stated ?

466Navastar

Ace- that dog avatar brings a smile everytime I see it

Wasnt trying to "insult" the A3s looks......but its common for you fellas to make the trucks look better with all kinds of mods - including crew cab conversions.....

I dont know what they were thinking when they designed the A3 - doesnt follow convention with that "bent" look....just thought if it wasnt a total "controls" nightmare to lift the cab - I might get interested in a A3

mudguppy

i think it can be done - essentially a body lift to gain the, what, 3"? then swap in A2 hood and side panels. they're likely be a handful of slight hiccups like the steering column, but that can all be adjusted/modded.

sounds like a cool project!

Last edited:

466Navastar

I was thinking that I would want to keep the A3 hood & make new side panels...are you telling me the A3 and a2 are the same body - with a different front clip?

Ive never laid eyes on one of these - from what I understand the brake pedal goes thru the floor - like the 1950s civi trucks...so the master cylinder must be under the truck....is it frame mounted - or body mounted?

is the throttle pedal and transmission selector linked to engine / transmission with a cable - or is "fly by wire" ?

I really want a M939 series ....but size wise might be a little big for the neighborhood ( still might go that way) ......so kinda-sorta lookin at A3s....who ever was the stylist should have been fired - I think the A2s are better looking - but like the more modern features of the A3

Last edited:

KsM715

A2 and a3 are roughly the same. They extended the hood and raised the front end to make room for the new motor.

It would take more than a simple body lift. Like you said you would have to worry about the steering colum and the brake pedal and possibly the throttle. I dont know how the trottle is controlled on the a3. Not to mention reworking some air lines to compensate for the raised cab.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks