• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Engine Swap with M151 Engine

GT4U

So recently I started to dismantle my T245 in my truck, it runs, but has lots of blow-by and looks pretty sad. My question is could I put a turbo on a M151 engine and install it in my truck (the turbo is to try and make up the hp difference).

CGarbee

I admit that I do not have the hp/torque curves for the engines...
However, having owned a few M37 and performed more than one engine swap (and having talked to a lot of folks over the years concerning their swaps), I think that you would be sorely disappointed in the performance of the M37 with a M151 engine (even if turbo'd) due to the lack of low end grunt...

GopherHill

All in all, the original 230 engine is not bad. It would be a lot less effort and expense to repair what you have. Engine swaps, while attractive in concept end up being money pits. M37s are not the best choice for a daily driver. I've done it but fuel was cheaper 40 years ago.

John Mc

I admit that I do not have the hp/torque curves for the engines...
However, having owned a few M37 and performed more than one engine swap (and having talked to a lot of folks over the years concerning their swaps), I think that you would be sorely disappointed in the performance of the M37 with a M151 engine (even if turbo'd) due to the lack of low end grunt...
I have to agree. I never thought I would see a question from someone looking to swap a smaller engine into an M37.

I'm not sure where you are located, but Ken Holmes in Worcester, MA did a first rate job rebuilding my engine for about $2000. Between all the changes needed to make engine from the 151 work, plus the cost of buying and installing the turbo, you'd probably spend more than the cost of rebuilding the engine... and you'd still have a small engine that was being worked to death trying to haul around a 6000# truck.

Last edited:

nattieleather

I agree with what other's have posted here. The M151 motor was designed as an industrial motor for Forklifts and Generators. It works well in the 151 because they aren't much bigger than a forklift. Load a 151 down with people gear and a loaded trailer and the peppy jeep becomes a tired dog. I know this from experience. I think putting that motor into the heavy M37s would slow it down more than it already is. And I don't know of any bolt on turbo for a 151 so you would have to be engineering that on your own. If you really don't want to rebuild the motor you have then look for a swap of a 318 or 360 Mopar. But as stated above engine swaps have their own set of issues and problems.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I agree with what other's have posted here. The M151 motor was designed as an industrial motor for Forklifts and Generators. It works well in the 151 because they aren't much bigger than a forklift. Load a 151 down with people gear and a loaded trailer and the peppy jeep becomes a tired dog. I know this from experience. I think putting that motor into the heavy M37s would slow it down more than it already is. And I don't know of any bolt on turbo for a 151 so you would have to be engineering that on your own. If you really don't want to rebuild the motor you have then look for a swap of a 318 or 360 Mopar. But as stated above engine swaps have their own set of issues and problems.
Chevy small block 350 with a Turbo behind it fits too.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I worked in an underground marble mine in North Georgia ~48-50 years ago and they had an M37 that had a Ford diesel tractor engine in it that was permissible to use underground. I don't know what model engine it was. When I drove the truck it had the original transmission and transfer case. It stayed in 1st gear low range as it was used almost 100% underground crawling over rocks and boulders. It had a significant amount of torque but it moved slow!

John Mc

There used to be a company called Clifford Engineering that built and raced 6 cylinder engines that could probably give you thye performance you want from your original T245 Dodge engine. You might give them a call: https://cliffordperformance.net/
I talked to one guy who makes & sells a few items to retrofit onto M37 trucks. His current project is a turbo charger to work with the 230 engine. He has tried out a prototype. Last I spoke with him, he was not sure if this was just going to be a one-off, or if he might eventually sell the kits.

The guy I sold my old 230 engine to was going to switch it over to fuel injection. He has done engine mods on a number of other vehicles and already had his plans all mapped out. Unfortunately, I lost track of him, so don't know how that worked out.

John

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep in mind, a diesel will have a lower engine speed, 2000 to 2500 rpm. The gasser turns more than that so you will have a loss in road speed. Somewhere around 2-4 mph per 100 rpm. If the gas engine spins 3000 at 55 mph, you will end up running around 40 mph with a diesel and a 3 mph per 100 rpm decrease at 2500 rpm....IF you leave the governor alone.

QCI M37CDN

An old 292 chevy stright six stove bolt engine would be a nice upgrade and it would give you a good boost in power. Just my .02 cents.

Mark
The stove bolt six is a definite downgrade. Chrysler 251 is a much better engine, and is almost a drop in replacement.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 292 stovbolt is a downgrade from the 251 flathead? Downgrade in what way? Purest? I sure see that and agree most times with that but on power and longevity? I don't see your point.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks