• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37? GMC combo?

txdodge43man

from what I have read and heard is the post war hard top for a cckw will fit a M37 with a little modification. That is a the correct cab on that truck they just put on hard doors and a hard top

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Arctic kit

the cab is all CCKW, the roof ,doors and outer windshield frame are arctic kit , this is a postwar kit , the doors are exclusive to the CCKW along with the outer windshield frame, the roof was used in the CCKW and M-37 arctic kit, thats why you may think the truck is a little funky and M37ish

robert c neth

Banned
i have a 42 engineers truck with that same styl top and doors and a small ovual window in the rear of the top.those are rare now but were original.

1995USAFRetE6

Hi Varyag,
Happy to see a Wa****onian from the east side of the state. I graduated from Endicott (Back when it had a High School) and I remember Garfield as always a tough opponent in football and basketball... that seems like a long time ago... wait... it was a long time ago :cookoo:

paulfarber

i have a 42 engineers truck with that same styl top and doors and a small ovual window in the rear of the top.those are rare now but were original.
I could find no modification or mention of any hard top for the open cab 353 as a production (42-45) option.

Post war, don't know.

Do you have pics or any documentation to support your statements that it is an 'original production' option?

Very interested if you do.

paulfarber

Do you know if that cckw is for sale? It looks like it was a shop truck. I would like to know more about that truck.
From the picture of the fuel tank (the only real tell) it does not appear to be a shop truck tank.

Shop trucks had the fuel filler sticking out from the front of the tank, it was almost between the rear of the cab and the front of the bed.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/02/CCKW_shop_van.jpg

Plus it kinda oval.... shop trucks were flat top and bottom.

robert c neth

Banned
only proof i have is an article in wheels and tracks magazine that said those trucks came that way.and the truck did not have a fold down windshield.there is a big brass plate on the side that says engineers truck .

paulfarber

If you could post pics of the data plate that would be cool.

Brass data plates were also not officially used on production trucks (tin and zinc are all that's documented).

In 1942 closed cabs would still be in production and readily available.

Its entirely possible that its they did cobble together a special purpose truck.. the ST-5/6 shop vans would have started in 1942.... but I can't fathom why they would design a hard top for an open cab... they had the closed cab already in production.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks