• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 observations and input wanted.

gunboy1656

I am normally a deuce guy, then became a mule guy. Now I am looking at getting my hands on an M37. I am wondering what quirks there is in owning one, the good, the bad.

What to look for when buying one? Here is the one that is being contemplating......... One big factor is that it is close.

And I already have the TM's downloaded and being read. :p

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like a great truck. What are you going to do with it? Are you going to restore it stock or do you want a macho freeway flyer? Answer that question and everything else will fall into place.

I'm happy to go slow so stock is how I roll. If you can't be happy going slow, then keep the body and replace the running gear.

Simple.

Storm 51

gunboy1656

I believe in keeping my stuff stock. So far the only thing I notice missing is the spare tire carrier and spare. And see some rust on the door.

I am going to try and check it out soon.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The B1's like you have pictured seem to rust easier than the 1950's production. All of them seem to have a vapor lock issue, I believe you can re-route the fuel line to fix that. Tires are getting quite pricy. Otherwise the M37 is about the perfect Army truck.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you keep it stock then the manuals will never lie to you and they will be your best friend. Spare tire carriers are easy to find and simple to install (please notice that I did NOT say cheap).

These are truly great trucks (the Platonic Ideal of "pick-up truckedness").

Good Luck with your restoration. I've had mine for 33 years and never found a better pick-up.

I'd be glad to help you with anything I can. Please don't hesitate to ask.

Storm 51

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its a super truck. Had mine over 40 years. It was designed in the 40's. Its a flat head - don't over rev it. You won't find one better, then in the pictures. Better get it! Welcome to the club.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great looking truck , looks to have all the big parts . That truck should have the later model trans , which is good . How is the electrical system , still 24 Volt ? You need to go thru the truck , axle seals , and bearings a must , brakes , only a single circuit master , very important . The fuel vapor lock issue can be fixed by installing a electric fuel pump by the tank . I would also figure a new wire harness , well worth the effort . Make sure all the air lines are installed to the distributor or it will over heat and cook the COIL , and don't leave the ignition switch on without the engine RUNNING , again it will cook the coil . Plan on resealing the trans/transfer case , I am just trying to hit the high notes . M37's are great trucks , easy to work on , parts are readily available , Midwest Military and Vintage power wagons are some . John at Midwest is a great guy with a LOT of knowledge on M37's. If you do purchase your ride , PM me I may have some parts for sale .100_0547.jpg100_0548.jpg

vtdeucedriver

Looks like a decent one to me!! You dont have the typical M-37 rot that alot have. Look it over well espically what was said about the wiring. If it runs...GREAT. Pending on the price, nothing looks to be a show stopper. To bad they added that winch/bumper bracket but that certinly can be fixed.

It already a daily driver or has it been sitting? Just a quick note about old seals. Its it or miss if they will start leaking but DO YOURSELF A FAVOR, as in ANY M-series..............Keep the VENTS CLEAR!!! Check em and then check em again. I got a leaky rear on my M-37 because I got nailed by not listening to my own warning that Ive known for years.

Now also get over on the WWW.G741.com and post away!!

majorhitt

The M seams to be sitting flat,When you have the spare mounted on the door ,it also should have a spacer just above the front axle on the springs, this is to help with the extra weight on that side of the truck. Also inside mounted to the dash and to the door hinge jam should be a bracket for extra support. And what they said.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of spares, mine is mounted in the rear. On the front right side of the bed, with a stock mount. I find that most convienient. To fuss with that thing on the door side, would be a pain. Its a real load there too.

Kasper31

gunboy
Looks like you've found a nice one, as you have time go through it and keep it stock. Drive it any and everywhere however as with mine the speed should be kept to around the 40 - 42 mph for the longgivity and you'll be real happy with it. Good Luck, have fun,,,,,,,,,, Keep inmind that if you add an electric 24v fuel back at the fuel tank to take care of the vapor lock that you should also put a fuel and water filter between the pump and the tank.

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Spare Tire Carrier on the door is not a popular item. If the cargo bed is full of radios it is something you are forced to accept. As a practical matter, unless you are compelled to move the spare, most people don't do it.

I may drill the holes and weld in the various pieces on my truck for the Door Mounted Spare Tire Carrier, but I won't actually complete the move of the spare until I want to mount all my radios with the installation of my Command Truck Kit. Will I ever do it? I don't know. I will set it up so that I have the "option". Completion of the actual installation? Probably not, but maybe.

Storm 51

Jesse19rap

Hey Gunboy,

Any luck on finding an M37!? I am not too far from ya down in Bethel Park, PA (8 miles south of Pitt). Once mine is road worthy perhaps we'll run into each other at one of the meets/shows. Good luck

GUNNY 155

If you get into rebuilding the engine, go all the way. Have the head milled the block decked and hardened valve seats installed along with new valves. In addition to that have the rods and crank blueprinted. Also have the crank, flywheel and rods balanced. This can be done by any good speed shop though they may look at you funny when you show up with an old flat head. The why is easy to answer. These engines for the most part were built with broad specs that called for close being good enough. The overall engine is a good design but balance issues and the long stroke of this engine will cause a short life if the specs are not tightened up. I spent the extra dollars on mine and cannot believe how smooth and quite she runs. This also keeps oil pressure more stable and engine temps down. All good stuff in the long run.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks