• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 power train options?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are the options available for the 6.2 CUCV diesel engine when repowering an '53 M37?
What transmissions are easily fitted? Cost? Availability? Experience? Clutch/bellhousing?

Do we need to beef up the front springs?

Thanks.

CGarbee

Jaun over on the www.g741.org M37 specific forum site has a M37 and M43 that he has repowered with the 6.2 using an adapter from Boyce that allowed him to hook up a Spicer 3053A out of a M35. I also know of a M37 that is running a 6.5 with a NV4500 behind it. Since the NV4500 five speed was used in the GM/Chevy pickups from 1986-2000 or so (whenever they went to the ZF S6-650 six speed) it should be pretty easy to source one that would bolt right up depending on if your donor engine is set up for a manual or automatic trans.

I'll be driving my M37 with the Cummins in it to Aberdeen in May so we can talk diesels during the convoy...

You will want to add a leaf to the front springs and a two inch spacer block to improve oil pan clearance...

CGarbee

Tell him that he can drive it in stock condition...
Brandon is driving his M816 and I will also have my towbar if he has serious trouble...
(I assume that the truck is still running good but it is actually a matter of the poor fuel economy and the top end speed that has him concerned... I can't help with the expenses, but I can tell him that I know how to drive slow when leading the convoy (we do use 45mph for the design speed of the segments...).

Either way, I'm looking forward to talking to him about his M37, and to you about my, and your, M35's

Red Neck

I am 1/2 done installing a 6.2 in an M37, I wanted comfort so I went with the 700R4 GM overdrive automatic. It is not heavy duty, but who works these trucks? The engine was installed using the chevy X member with motor mounts and bolted right into the dodge frame, the frame width is ground about 1/4" on both sides to clear the exh manifolds, the rear trans Xmember is again the chevy and bolts in by drilling 4 holes in frame as orig in chevy, the only hard part is the oil pan to diff clearance, I custom made an oil pan with a notch to clear the diff. The chevy Ovr Drv is cheap and readily avail. It is lighter then all the standards, no clutch linkage to worry about, the chevy steering column bolted in without too much trouble and then you have tilt wheel, signals, shifter horn etc. The trans case shifter bolts into the orig dodge t case hole if you turn it around. Can't wait until I have time to finish it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks