• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Red Bumper

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a 1953 M37 , originally a AF STRATA BLUE MV . Some time in it's life it was painted OD . I am in the process of preping for a paint job , BLUE or OD , What do you think ? I noticed the front bumper was painted RED , what was the purpose of the red bumper if anyone knows . I can't find a unit markings on the bumper , but I do see lettering on the Hood under the OD , doesn't appear to be anything on the doors , still a voyage of discovery . Just trying to get some history on the vehicle . MV came from California , lots of AF bases there . :) Bob k

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could also just be that the bumper was bent etc, and they used one from another truck.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya , it could be anything when it comes to MV's , as they say if they could talk . It was a April 53 build , I was told it was AF and then went to the California NG , then GL sold it back in the late 70's early 80's . Who ever painted it OD , went to the trouble of removeing the bed so they could paint behind the cab 100_0548.jpg100_0867.jpg

Keith_J

EOD trucks used to have red markings. Don't know why. And current EOD vehicles don't have the red bumpers or fenders.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't think it was ever a CIVILIAN vehicle , bumper appears original , I tend to lean towards the EOD or flight line vehicle . I also like the strata blue color on the MV . Don't see to many BLUE M37's . Wonder how many times people would ask "How come it's not OD"?

DAP

I have added Air Force markings to my blue truck since I took the avitar picture and since then (10+ years) I can't remember when/if anyone asks me why it isn't OD. They just assume it is correct. They even assume it is the correct Aif Force blue shade though it isn't. I still do get comments about the nice "Jeep" - sigh. I just smile and say "Actually it is a Dodge" Then I run them over with my large tires - ROFL

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL , why do a lot of people think every MV is a Jeep ? I checked out that link , they look good BLUE! My M37 has the Hard Top with the rectangular window , I installed the winch , but everything else is original and being it is a West Coast vehicle it has very little to no RUST . I think a blue body , with RED bumpers and maybe front fenders .

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All this M37 talk lately makes me even more eager to fix up my wife's M37.

She wants to paint it in some version of the current Air Force camo pattern for their uniforms. I don't think she can pull it off without a lot of work.

I would probably paint it Navy Gray just to make the SF (security forces, the AF version of MP) guys at the gate mad. lol.

I agree, lets see some pictures!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks