• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 spring rebuild

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As part of my complete overhaul and repower of my 53 M37, Moose, I decided to send the springs to Seattle to have them checked out, an extra leaf added to the fronts (the new diesel engine is heavier than the old flattie) and have the eye bushings and pins checked out. The spring packs looked OK externally. It was my intention to add a 2" spacer between the axle and springs as some others have done (to get more clearance between the oil pan and the pumpkin).

Fred, at my spring shop, opened them up and found an enormous amount of pitting between the the leaves. These puppies are scrap. I was going to buy some NOS springs, till Fred suggested he make me new springs. These new springs will have extra leaves and be arched to give me the 2" lift, without the spacers.

Everyone is happy except the keeper of the checkbook and I think she will get over it!. Actually, I won't have the bill to rehab the old springs, add a leaf and build the spacer blocks. So, it helps to pay for building up the new springs.

The moral of the story, check out these 60 year old springs, even if they look good on the outside!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks