NJ M38 - 1950 -Paramus - Reduced to $29,500

schindo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is for the person who wants to stand out from the rest and is as sick as I am! For sale is a 1950 Willys M38 Jeep. Frame-off restoration. Daily rider during summer months,(and I take the guns off before travel.) and start monthly during winter months. Run to temperature; keeps the gremlins away messing with the vehicle. The pictures show different configurations based upon event attending.

• REBUILT
    Willys engine completely (not matching numbers)
  • Transmission and transfer case
  • Differentials converted from the 530 ratio to 488 ratios.
  • Several modifications have been made for my convenience and safety; front disc brakes, (have original parts if desired) additional removable tail lights, etc.
MODIFICATIONS

• Diffs were converted from the 530 ratio to 488 ratios. This keeps the RPMs lower when traveling on highways. Will do 45-50 nicely.
  • Electrical converted to 12V for NAPA convenience. I have seen many jeeps go down during parades and events and can’t be repaired till they send away for the needed part(s) Have 2nd battery for converting back to 24V.
  • The M38 brake system is probably the worse in Army history. 9” front brake shoes didn’t cut it for me when emergency braking was needed. Replaced the single stage master cylinder to a dual stage and replaced the shoes with disc brakes. (Have the old components if you want to go back to original)
  • Incorporated the machinegun side mount for the Browning 1919 30 cal gas gun. Battery and coil located in the ammo can. Gas cylinders (propane and oxygen are located in the rear basket)
  • The M1 Carbine, mounted on the windshield, is a full metal replica and the only non gas firing rifle on the jeep.
  • Use a single MG on the center mount or use the twin MG mount (custom made) for two 50 cal gas firing Browning machine guns. (Is that insane? Yes, but the public loves it at shows)) WWII tombstone ammo cans can be used for display or the standard 50 cal ammo cans are to be used when gas function is desired. (Battery can be transferred in the tombstones. Simple) The 2nd 50 cal needs to be finished tapping the chamber for the barrel and adding 2nd battery for power. Currently forced fit but should be threaded for the extra mile. Can be wired for simultaneous firing with either gun. Nice simple project.
  • Purchased RT radio of the Korean era (Missing mount…long story) and also mounted a PRC77 to show the later radio used in Viet Nam era. Currently, RT mount is out for repair. Location and phone number given at sale.
USE

This particular jeep was used for history education in intermediate and high schools to display and describe the advancement of technology and ordnance during WWII, Korean, and Viet Nam wars. Accessories found on the jeep are from the three eras. EX: An M2 Bazooka mounted on rear basket along with a LAW from the Viet Nam era. The comparison shows the incredible differences that took place in technology over the years. This applies to the radios also; the size of ammo belts (30 cal, 50 cal, M60 NATO) fire extinguishers, radioactive extinguishers, etc.

ACCESSORIES

• WWII 50 cal ammo can and NATO ammo can for comparison
  • Various canvas bags and water pail for dress
  • Used canvas top; rarely used because of the 50 cal machine guns. (not new)
  • Hand cranked siren from WWII era
  • Hand cranked mustard gas warning horn
  • 12V/110V converter 600 watt for xmas lights, etc.
  • RT68/PP109 radio with antenna – working Missing mount at the moment
  • PRC77 portable radio – working and plenty of batteries
  • WWII hand held portable radio SCR-536 type – working. Uses battery modification kit
  • RT-68 hand held radio
  • M1 carbine windshield mount with M1 carbine replica
  • WWII and Viet Nam contamination sprayer for comparison
  • 12V siren
  • Has FM/CD radio hidden in 50 cal ammo can with hidden front speakers mounted behind the front bumper and hidden with ½” hemp rope for parades. Ammo can needs permanent mounting to floorboard. Simple project.
  • Has a light bar mounted under the basket with controller hidden in the 50 cal ammo can; bright yellow lights with various patterns for rear traffic to see. Standard M38 rear lighting is hard to see at night. This can be removed if desired.
  • Pup tent, sleeping mats and rear flag holder; for telescoping 8’ flag.
  • Spare tire on holder
  • New data plates installed; beautiful!
  • Tiny Tac mounted under dash with Velcro (removable). Non military.
  • Wireless, motorized license plate; slides under jeep when displaying at car shows with remote.
  • Replaced the VIC1 with a modern VIC3 intercom system to eliminate the road noise and shouting when on the highway. (Yes, this does not belong on the jeep but is very convenient for conversation with superior performance.
  • Purchased VTG 12V Kattle Kaller Cow Bull horn for added fun. Not installed yet; simple.
  • Installed aluminum radiator to determine temperatures at highway speeds during 90 degree days. Tested and maintained under 200 degrees at 45-50mph at 90 gegree weather. I was going to anodize black but too much to do selling house. Have original radiator if you want to go back: It works fine under normal conditions. (Doing 45-50 mph for 30+ minutes is not considered normal)
  • Clear Florida title
  • 201-456-4071

M38 Jeep is available for inspection. Email for an appointment time. First dated email will probably win if serious.

A restored M38 is going for @ $20K. I have over $15K in accessories and some extra parts that go with it. This gives you an idea of what is in this sale and not considering my labor. $1000 PayPal deposit required at time of purchase, and balance within 07 days. Checks must clear bank before taking. Buyer is responsible for shipping of parts and vehicle. Once it leaves the barn, it is yours so take your time inspecting. I can consider offers if you can convince me but I warn you, it will be a hard sell.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks