• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m38a1 L head problem.

gabe greene

Hi, Wondering if anyone can help with a L Head problem. I have removed the head and cleaned both block and head. Thought I had a blown head gasket. after putting every thing back together it blowing white smoke. almost a vaper like smoke. when a load is put on the engine it seems to be worse. should I have changed the head bolts to studs? and do you think the coolant can make it into the chambers through the head bolt treads? need help on this one. On a budget and really want to get her back running. Really was trying hard to make it to the big weare nh military rally this weekend, but not looking good. All feedback would help. Thanks again-Gabe

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much have you driven it since the head gasket? Put 10 miles on it and retorque. Does the radiator level decrease? Bubbles in there? Any chance you spilled coolant into the header pipe when you took the head off? Did you have the white smoke before changing the head gasket?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have an L head in your M38a1? That's unusual to replace an F head with an L head, folks usually go the other way. Your Jeep looks good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks