• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 Rear Main Seal Replacement

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm still learning my way around the M38A1. My Jeep is running great, but she has a rear main seal leak. Guys, can I replace the rear main seal with the engine in the Jeep, or do I have to pull the engine??..............thanks!!

Last edited:

DeetFreek

Either way, I've done both. Easier out, but way quicker in. Getting the top seal in is of course tricky because of the crank being in the way, but there's a few tricks to make it simpler.

Drain the oil, pull the pan, pull main cap and replace the seal.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Deet!! I'd like to get started on this next week. I did the rear main seal in my CJ7 with a 304 V8, but this little 4 cylinder is a bit different.

DeetFreek

Thanks Deet!! I'd like to get started on this next week. I did the rear main seal in my CJ7 with a 304 V8, but this little 4 cylinder is a bit different.
You're welcome! It's so weird since the pan is so accessible, no crossmember in the way! The pickup really doesn't even really give you a headache.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks