• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M4 high speed tractor info/pics needed

jdknech

well folks, its about time for a new project ( i need one like i need a new hole in the head) i almost have the XM971 command camper done, and i want something TRACKED!! :twisted: lol i have been looking into FV432 APC's from the UK, but then i stumbled across a M4 HST (high speed tractor) and they look BAD A$$!! but i can not find much info on them, does any members on here have one (or more) i would love to check one out thats in running shape...

i have located a few for sale in the US, so this IS NOT a WANTED for a HST, just for info about them.. and how hard are parts fo find?

i would attach a pic, but my phone wont allow it.. sorry guys..

andyindy

The M4 was built from 1942 to 1960. Rated to pull 18k to 30k,powered by a Waukesha 6 cyl gas rated at 210 hp. Top speed of 35 mph and a range of 180 miles. Could carry a crew of 10 men in the compartment in addition to the driver. Fitted with a 50 cal ring mount above crew compartment. This is from C.H. Wendell's book, The Allis Chalmers Story. Any one interested in machines and machinery in general will like this book. From Jet plane ejection seats, fossil and nuclear power plants, hydro electric plants, mining machinery, refrigerators, lawn and garden, sawmill machinery, and lots more.
The following is from David Doyle's U.S. Military Vehicles field guide. Production from March 1943 to June 1945. Total production of 5552 built. Weight 31400 size 210x97x108 in inches. In 1954 Bowen-McLaughlin began a rebuilding program. Declared obsolete in mid 1960's by Military.

jdknech

The M4 was built from 1942 to 1960. Rated to pull 18k to 30k,powered by a Waukesha 6 cyl gas rated at 210 hp. Top speed of 35 mph and a range of 180 miles. Could carry a crew of 10 men in the compartment in addition to the driver. Fitted with a 50 cal ring mount above crew compartment. This is from C.H. Wendell's book, The Allis Chalmers Story. Any one interested in machines and machinery in general will like this book. From Jet plane ejection seats, fossil and nuclear power plants, hydro electric plants, mining machinery, refrigerators, lawn and garden, sawmill machinery, and lots more.
The following is from David Doyle's U.S. Military Vehicles field guide. Production from March 1943 to June 1945. Total production of 5552 built. Weight 31400 size 210x97x108 in inches. In 1954 Bowen-McLaughlin began a rebuilding program. Declared obsolete in mid 1960's by Military.
awesome info! thanks.. Iwill have to look up that book, sounds like a interesting read..

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SECO, Augusta, GA used to have 100's of them that they used to convert to "Wood Tiger" forestry machines. If they have any left, they will be mighty rusty, as they were rusty when I last saw them in the 90's.

jdknech

SECO, Augusta, GA used to have 100's of them that they used to convert to "Wood Tiger" forestry machines. If they have any left, they will be mighty rusty, as they were rusty when I last saw them in the 90's.
I will have to contact them and see if they have any left, and if so, what shape there in.. i have found some kinda close to me that are not all rusted out, but dont run, and are missing the engine, engine covers, and rear storage boxes.. i have not seen them yet, but ma and a friend are going after the Haspin rally to check them out :)

98taco3

Wouldnt know anything about em..... Neat vehicle to drive around and a BEAST of a inline 6 Gasser. Parts have been fairly tough to find. We finally got a hold of the gun ring mount, a ring, ammo box, and most of the floor boards last fall. Power company was nice enough to rebuild the mill a few years before it was sold off.

Still gathering parts here and there for it but it seems to be a buy it when you see it type of deal. ..

2011-04-07154041.jpg

Carlo

Think 2 times, no 10 times before buying a 432. To change the starter you must remove the motor! The Rolls Royce motor sounds like a detroit cause it is a 2 stroke deisel but thats were it stops. The motor is complex as in using 2 pistons in 1 cyl!! The design of the APC is not bad but the motor falls short. People have done a motor conversion using a 5,9 cummins and it works great. Of the trans is a Allison but one designed for the 432 and a bit weird...

jdknech

Wouldnt know anything about em..... Neat vehicle to drive around and a BEAST of a inline 6 Gasser. Parts have been fairly tough to find. We finally got a hold of the gun ring mount, a ring, ammo box, and most of the floor boards last fall. Power company was nice enough to rebuild the mill a few years before it was sold off.

Still gathering parts here and there for it but it seems to be a buy it when you see it type of deal. ..

View attachment 432762
WOW! That is a super nice m4! That's the first one I have seen with doors though, was that a add on, or military? If I end up taking on one as a project, I may have to come check yours out sometime! (If your willing. I fly free as a perk of my job) what are your plans for the rear area?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks