• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52 questions

Hookin1

Okay guys i got the 5ton running and then moving today...just around the yard(has no brakes aua ) I will be swapping it to a diesel as the intake and exhaust manifolds are cracked.

So my questions are.......
1 It looks like i have an airline running to the t-case....what is it?
2 since it won't build air i have no idea if that line thingy works...are there reed valves in the compressor that would keep it from pumping air?
3 Power steering works great...but the frame flexes a lot where the sterring box is bolted to the frame....is that bad or normal?
4 wll the wiring is so rotted that there are bare wires showing...where can i get a harness that won't cost me an arm and a leg?.....i was thinking buddy's but a lot of them have been cut on....
5 The master cylinder was dry so i guess i will be doing all the wheels and replacing the rubber hoses just to be safe....are the brakes on the 5ton basically like the duece as far as the setup...i know the parts are bigger rofl
6 what have i gotten myself into :cookoo:
7 where can i get a vinyl top for the cab? green would be better but camo would work
8 looks like i need to plan a SS cookout for next summer :jumpin:

?Hookin1? said:
Okay guys i got the 5ton running and then moving today...just around the yard(has no brakes aua ) I will be swapping it to a diesel as the intake and exhaust manifolds are cracked.

So my questions are.......
1 It looks like i have an airline running to the t-case....what is it?
2 since it won't build air i have no idea if that line thingy works...are there reed valves in the compressor that would keep it from pumping air?
3 Power steering works great...but the frame flexes a lot where the sterring box is bolted to the frame....is that bad or normal?
4 wll the wiring is so rotted that there are bare wires showing...where can i get a harness that won't cost me an arm and a leg?.....i was thinking buddy's but a lot of them have been cut on....
5 The master cylinder was dry so i guess i will be doing all the wheels and replacing the rubber hoses just to be safe....are the brakes on the 5ton basically like the duece as far as the setup...i know the parts are bigger rofl
6 what have i gotten myself into :cookoo:
7 where can i get a vinyl top for the cab? green would be better but camo would work
8 looks like i need to plan a SS cookout for next summer :jumpin:
Lance, the air lines to the t case tell the sprag what direction the truck wants to move. the frame flexing is not something that ive seen on any of my 5 tonners. lots of wiring harnesses advertised for these things. vinyl tops are around also. citizensoilder got one for me somewhere. it is very nice. like new. found a few of the brake systems dry.. that's not a good thing. usually rust has set in. cook out!! hm mm --- sounds like a trip to Evansville might be in order. have to get my shop up this spring but after that who knows might run south.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: M52 questions

What looks like an airline running to the transfer case is an air line - if you have no air, it is very important that you do not attempt to drive in reverse. The airline controls the sprag selection - default is forward. Driving backwards with the sprag in forward can be VERY expensive.

The brakes on a five ton are very similar to those on a deuce.

Frame shouldn't flex - sounds like something is loose/broken.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

m139h2otruck

Air to transfer

As I understand it, if there is no air (pressure) going to the transfer case sprag clutch cylinder, the clutch is between forward and reverse. I checked this on our H2O truck by jacking up one front wheel and trying it with and without air and with the shifter in forward and reverse. With no air, the front wheel would turn in both directions with little effort. With air, it locks in the oppisare direction to the position of the shifter.

Also, for Towman, this M139 does not have lockers in any of the axles, jacked up all axles and wheels turn (one forward and one backwards) with the truck in gear.

m139h2otruck

Air to transfer

As I understand it, if there is no air (pressure) going to the transfer case sprag clutch cylinder, the clutch is between forward and reverse. I checked this on our H2O truck by jacking up one front wheel and trying it with and without air and with the shifter in forward and reverse. With no air, the front wheel would turn in both directions with little effort. With air, it locks in the opposite direction to the position of the shifter.

Also, for Towman, this M139 does not have lockers in any of the axles, jacked up all axles and wheels turn (one forward and one backwards) with the truck in gear.

rdixiemiller

RE: Air to transfer

Cab cover on an M52 should be the same as a deuce. The cabs are the same. I am not sure, but I bet the wiring harness is really close to being the same as well. Right off hand, I can't think of anything that might be different except the loom going to the front turns and headlights would probably be longer. Dash gauges are the same (on diesel trucks anyway).
Unless you have an engine laying around, it might be easier to change the exhaust manifold and leave it a gasser. You would have to drive a lot of miles for the fuel cost difference to outweigh the cost of a conversion. IMHO.
However, it is your truck, have at it!!!!!

BFR

Rocket Surgeon

I know a guy who talked to a guy who knew a guy that had a spare 6.2 if you are interested.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

H20M139. The sprag units on your truck are not functioning properly. With no air, the forward sprag should be engaged, and the wheel should not turn backwards. The banging noise you mention hearing in the other thread are parts binding, slipping and trying to break when you are driving backwards on hard surfaces while the forward sprag is still engaged. If the truck did not have power steering it would yank the wheel from your hand as well.

I've seen the main shaft of the transfer case twist in two as a result of this.

Regards,
David Doyle

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lance, I just bought a NOS front harness from tactial truck. It fit perfect. They are for multifuels so if you swap just screw it on at the firewall. I bet he still has some more.

Towman2277

David Doyle is right H20. With no air supplied, the front should be engaged, and shouldn't turn backwards. You need to be sure to find the cause and fix that before it damages something costly!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks