• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54A1 Mack manufacturer info needed

Monkeyboyarmy

I am trying to figure out who manufactured this truck. CARNAC gave me all of the info that he had (thank you sir) which is it was built in 1969 with a serial number of M725 10601. There is no manufacturer listed. The truck was rebuilt in 1975 and was given another serial number of 05C-21769-M725 with a tag that says " Overhauled to limited depot standards in accordance with TB 9-2300-390-50 at TMA AMC " This new tag now lists the serial number as the 05C-21769-M725 and a delivery date of 10601G50. There's also a contract number of DAAG-50-74-C-0041. My guess is that it was manufactured by Kaiser Jeep in 1969. Anyone know what depot would be associated with TMA AMC ? I don't think that this is affiliated with American Motors Corporation but I could be wrong. Any ideas?

Attachments

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Definetly a Kaiser Jeep product,M725-10601 is your actual vehicle serial number.

05C21769 is actually the Military registration number for that truck,it appears it was manufactured in 1969 and rebuilt in 1975(I have several like this myself,all are Mack powered as well).

Hold onto that truck,those Macks are getting harder and harder to find in good shape,they are a bit more expensive to work on engine wise,but they make up for it in power and less noise than the NHC 250 and LDS Multifuel.

Big_S

This is a Kaiser Jeep truck. I have some others at this range witch are all Kaiser Jeep trucks. Some Diamond T trucks are rebuilt 1975 too. Possible all of that rebulits are ex Vietnam.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any more on this???
I had read somewhere the M54A1 designation was given to the Mack powered units in June 1962. This upgrade didn't last much more than a year as it was decided further upgrades would receive the LDS-465-1a multifuel.

Monkeyboyarmy

Some acronyms that I found.

AMC
(1) Airspace Management and Control; (2) Army Materiel Command (Formerly DARCOM); (3) Air Mobility Command;
(4) Air Mission Commander

TMA Theater of Military Action

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Like Chief 919 said, Army Materiel Command (the other 2 don't even make sense for ground vehicle rebuilds).
Tooele Maintenance Activity, Tooele Army Depot, Tooele, UT

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
"By the beginning of fiscal year 1974 Army depot maintenance facilities at
Sagami, Japan; Camp Carroll, Korea; and Machinato, Okinawa, had reverted to
direct and general support work. The Army Materiel Command's Taiwan Materiel
Agency continued to perform depot maintenance on items shipped to Taiwan
following the cease-fire in Vietnam. The backlog of equipment to be overhauled
had been cleared up by 30 June 1975, and the agency was scheduled to be
discontinued on 30 September 1975."

http://www.history.army.mil/books/DAHSUM/1975/ch08.htm

vtdeucedriver

"By the beginning of fiscal year 1974 Army depot maintenance facilities at
Sagami, Japan; Camp Carroll, Korea; and Machinato, Okinawa, had reverted to
direct and general support work. The Army Materiel Command's Taiwan Materiel
Agency continued to perform depot maintenance on items shipped to Taiwan
following the cease-fire in Vietnam. The backlog of equipment to be overhauled
had been cleared up by 30 June 1975, and the agency was scheduled to be
discontinued on 30 September 1975."

http://www.history.army.mil/books/DAHSUM/1975/ch08.htm

Im really liking this!:beer:

AMGeneral

I checked my 2 M54s here at the house( A1 and A2) and both have the same rebuild plate on the dash (TMA AMC) with a rebuild date of 1975.

If I remember correctly,the M54A1 I traded Papabear for the Proud American had that tag as well.

I wonder if CARNAC would be able to trace the history back on these trucks that far back?

vtdeucedriver

I checked my 2 M54s here at the house( A1 and A2) and both have the same rebuild plate on the dash (TMA AMC) with a rebuild date of 1975.

If I remember correctly,the M54A1 I traded Papabear for the Proud American had that tag as well.

I wonder if CARNAC would be able to trace the history back on these trucks that far back?

Brandon,
When I talked with DD on the phone, he said that we could contact mack and they will have some info.

AMGeneral

Thanks Jeff,

I did check the 2 rebuild tags on my 2 M54s,the A1 is serial # 11012 and it is dated 6/75,the A2 is serial # 10054 and it's dated 6/74,both with TMA AMC marked on the tags.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks