• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M602, modified M35

rdixiemiller

I bought a manual for an "M602, modified M35". TM9-2320-215-24P. I though it might be a manual for the Norwegian variant, I was wrong.
This manual is dated 1958. It looks like a normal gasser M35. It wasn't until I looked through the manual that I found what the modifications to the standard M35 were.
1) The truck has no air compressor.
2) Vacuum brake booster and wiper motors.
3) Military dash, but the air pressure gauge hole has a round blank-off over it.
4) Civilian turn and stop lights with no black out provisions.
5) Civvy light switch.
6) 12 volt system.
7) Civvy style (non sealed) starter, generator, and regulator.
8) Civvy fuel pump, mounted on the engine. No in-tank pump.
9) Single 6TN battery, mounted in the military battery box.
10) No flange on the tailpipe for the fording pipe extension.
11) Civvy style wiring connectors everywhere.
12) Civvy ignition, distributor, plug wires, plugs, coil, etc.

It looks like a deuce with all the special (expensive) mil-spec stuff removed. I would almost say it looked like it was designed for the civilian market, but it has a military TM. The brake booster and wiper motors look like the parts that were installed on period civilian vehicles. The pics in the manual look identical to a deuce of the period, the civvy turn signals are the only give away that it was not an M35.
David Doyle? Kenny? Westfolk? Maccus? any of you that have been deucing for years ever see one of these?

Towerguy1

As I understand it some manufacturer surplus (unshipped to the military) M37's were civilianized and offered to the public. The same could have happened to some M35's as well.

Knucklehead

Towerguy1 is right that trucks were sold to civilians, but your 602 was made for export to friendly nations." Project Patriot- Hands Across the Sea." was the slogan this program was used. Other varients of the M44 series truck were supplied also.

rdixiemiller

I had heard of the Norwegian M602, but it had lockers on all 3 diffs and a ROPS system, and singles. I was not aware that there was a "generic" M602 that was "civilianized". From the looks of it, REO substituted standard civvy vacuum accessories for the military air setup, used the standard 12V civvy starting, charging, lighting and wiring system. Regular pickup style turns and tails were also installed. I would guess they put these parts on as the vehicle was coming down the assembly line, I can't see them having stripped the trucks down and converted them, too much cost. I was surprised to find a US Army tm on them, this one came from a Guard unit in California according to the stamps on the cover.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The Norwegian trucks with the lockers weren't M602, they were classified the M621. The locker-equipped truck was powered by a naturally aspirated Multifuel, whereas the M602 was a gasser. Knucklehead has this one pinned precisely.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

jasonjc

Well this is an oldie but in stead of starting a new thread I'll add too this one. The G-835 2 1/2 ton 6X6 trucks seem to have come in all the same typs as the M44's. If they were just for export why is there a US TM for them. And why did we make other stuff to go with these and include them in our TM's????

I was looking thought TM9-2330-267-14 dated June 1971 for the M149 water tank trailer it is also for the M625 water tank trailer the only thing diferent between the two is the lights and brakes. the M625 use 12volt lights and vacum brakes. The M105 trailers also came this way as the M105A2c.

If these were just for export why are the trucks and trailer in the U.S.manuals. It can't be for easy of printing , you would think they would need to be in a diferent langage.

Just one more thing to make you wonder whats what:?:

westfolk

A little off topic....

I used to have a G-749, GMC hydro....that was the same as an M211. Almost everything was the same. Though it had a fair amount of civi stuff on it that you could tell was there from the factory, and not "added" by someone later on. Plus rather that the everyday 4 digit VIN as all the others I've owned had, it had a crazy combination of numbers and letters more like everyday VINs. If I remember right it was a 1957.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old thread but wish to add for future searches on the subject: I have a USAF Utica-Bend originally built as a M35, and apparently they made it into their own version of the M602 at some point. The exception on this one is they retained the blackout lighting system, original dash and gauges, and air compressor. The engine is a military version with its mil carb and other mil features, but has civvy 12V starter, gen, distributor. It came that way from the DRMO decades ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks